Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on the best types of Apps for Android out on the wonderful Web, preferable free if not best value Apps.  

O does anyone have any special lenses that can buy pass the cloudy sky's  :smiley:  as this been a bad year were I am based 

Cheers

Hi matt. I find these apps useful. Astro panel, stellarium, skysafari, iss detector, skeye.

• Like 1

Second all of the above (have been a confirmed Stellarium Mobile fan but tending to Sky Safari 4 at present) with the exception of Astro Panel (don't know that one). Mobile Obs is nice as a resource. Also, Solar System Scope cuz it's so darn pretty.

ps I recommend the Zarkov Cloud Gun. See FLO.

;)

• Like 1

Hiya,

Google Sky Map is free and handy for Messier objects, constellations, and stars ...

Kev

• Like 1

Forgive me but I keep banging on about SkySafari.

I've never begrudged paying for any app and SkySafari Pro is no exception!

I've paid much, much more for fully featured Windoze based desktop planetarium packages over the years and if any of them did anything that SkySafari can't do it was probably a gimmick.

Wow, I've only typed SkySafari 3 times!

Errr. Make that 4 :) 

• Like 3

I find Celestron's Skyportal excellent. It's free and although it's for use with the Wifi adapter to control the scope, it works brilliantly on it's own.

• Like 1

Astropanel is great when 7timer is working... Which it hasn't been for a few days. Other android weather apps use same source so they're not working either.

• Like 1

Luminos £4.99

Jupiter's moons free

ISS spotter free.

For ultimate pleasure and a good birthday present , Sky Safari pro,

Nick.

• Like 1

Sky Safari Pro all the way.

Stelarium is nice and clear budget option.

Sky Safari Pro, Jupiter's Moons and Clear Outside make up my App collection.

Paul

• Like 1

Sky safari and stellarium for me too. I find scope nights a very good, accurate app for clear skies prediction.

First Light Optics has a weather app too, but I haven't really looked at it yet.

• Like 1

Skysafari pro is excellent. But plus is also very good. Xcweather I use a lot too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I recently downloaded Mobile Observatory, which, as ghostdance  says above, is a nice resource.  Only thing is, I don't think it's possible to pin the 'live view' to an object and hence turn it into a electronic finder scope.   If it is then maybe someone can tell me how to do it :icon_bounce:

It is possible to do this with SkEye, but it never really works well as it always seems to experience a 'strange magnetic field'.   I wonder if there's a huge horde of ancient Celtic gold buried in the back garden...   ...hmmm

Having read these posts I'm thinking that one of the SkySafari Pro's is bound to do this as well.   Whether this is the SkySafari 4 (£1.87 - suitable for the financially challenged and those folks North of Hadria.. (I'll get into trouble here)), SkySafari 4 Plus (£9.38 - seems pricey for an app - they're supposed to be cheap - but just might consider it if it's good), or SkySafari Pro (at £24.99 this would need to be able to make me a cup of tea, ward off white walkers and do hard sums...  ...very hard sums.   It's also likely to completely banjax my rather dated 'phone' so I'm not even going to thing about it at this stage, especially since I just splashed out on a new (2nd hand) zoom EP & (brand) new dedicated barlow) i really don't know.    What about you guys (& gals)?

I'm off to dig a hole....

• Like 1

The skysafari pro is often on sale for 1/2 price, there's no way I would have paid full price for it. It is good though

• Like 2

I mainly use on my mobile

Sky & Telescope - Sky Week

NASA

CMO - Chile Mobile Observatory

• Like 1

Astro Panel is good, gives a good indication of weather conditions for the days ahead, also 'night sky tools' is useful also.

• Like 1

Star chart was good for me as a beginner, but it does lack a few features compared to the pro apps. I'll give skysafari a go.

What's the difference between skysafari 4 and Pro?

• Like 1