SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing Apps

Hi Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on the best types of Apps for Android out on the wonderful Web, preferable free if not best value Apps.  

O does anyone have any special lenses that can buy pass the cloudy sky's  :smiley:  as this been a bad year were I am based 

Cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second all of the above (have been a confirmed Stellarium Mobile fan but tending to Sky Safari 4 at present) with the exception of Astro Panel (don't know that one). Mobile Obs is nice as a resource. Also, Solar System Scope cuz it's so darn pretty.

ps I recommend the Zarkov Cloud Gun. See FLO.

;)

Forgive me but I keep banging on about SkySafari.

I've never begrudged paying for any app and SkySafari Pro is no exception!

I've paid much, much more for fully featured Windoze based desktop planetarium packages over the years and if any of them did anything that SkySafari can't do it was probably a gimmick.

Wow, I've only typed SkySafari 3 times!

Errr. Make that 4 :) 

I recently downloaded Mobile Observatory, which, as ghostdance  says above, is a nice resource.  Only thing is, I don't think it's possible to pin the 'live view' to an object and hence turn it into a electronic finder scope.   If it is then maybe someone can tell me how to do it :icon_bounce:

It is possible to do this with SkEye, but it never really works well as it always seems to experience a 'strange magnetic field'.   I wonder if there's a huge horde of ancient Celtic gold buried in the back garden...   ...hmmm

Having read these posts I'm thinking that one of the SkySafari Pro's is bound to do this as well.   Whether this is the SkySafari 4 (£1.87 - suitable for the financially challenged and those folks North of Hadria.. (I'll get into trouble here)), SkySafari 4 Plus (£9.38 - seems pricey for an app - they're supposed to be cheap - but just might consider it if it's good), or SkySafari Pro (at £24.99 this would need to be able to make me a cup of tea, ward off white walkers and do hard sums...  ...very hard sums.   It's also likely to completely banjax my rather dated 'phone' so I'm not even going to thing about it at this stage, especially since I just splashed out on a new (2nd hand) zoom EP & (brand) new dedicated barlow) i really don't know.    What about you guys (& gals)?

I'm off to dig a hole....

Archived