Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy and the Seven Sisters

I was using a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens to start with for the widefield view and then switched to the 70-200mm f/2.8L for the higher magnification. The 70-200mm has some serious vignetting, even at 200mm f4, which surprised me for a Canon L lens. Now I'm playing with stacking images aligned on the comet rather than the stars.

I was using a 24-70mm f/2.8L lens to start with for the widefield view and then switched to the 70-200mm f/2.8L for the higher magnification. The 70-200mm has some serious vignetting, even at 200mm f4, which surprised me for a Canon L lens. Now I'm playing with stacking images aligned on the comet rather than the stars.

Using 70 end of the 70 / 200 to get the comet and 7 Sisters left me enough spare to crop it to remove the worst of the vignetting.

Dave

as a matter of interest, this 40second iso3200@f4 image from a stack of 20 is what I was working with, the tail is only just visible over the LP. It should be much better in N. Wales where I am now but it's raining lol. This image is unadjusted except for WB

40sec_single.jpg

Kev this is "encouraging" which version of DSS are you using with the 5D III raws...?

I have been having a mare here with DSS especially if I include calibration frames...

Peter...

hi Pete, v3.3.4 I think, it's the latest copy on the group

sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

Hi,

I'm a very new star watcher and was wondering where to look for lovejoy from the Hawaiian Islands. I have a set of Pentax 20x60's I'll be using.

I appreciate any help.. I thought it would be in the southwest sky but I get conflicting web info and Celestron's iOS app doesn't seem to have it.

Thx

JB

a play last night with Comet Lovejoy with a Canon 5D3 and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens

40sec_dpp.jpg

while I was there I couldn't resist a pop at M45, the Seven Sisters

SS_dpp.jpg

Hi,

I'm a very new star watcher and was wondering where to look for lovejoy from the Hawaiian Islands. I have a set of Pentax 20x60's I'll be using.

I appreciate any help.. I thought it would be in the southwest sky but I get conflicting web info and Celestron's iOS app doesn't seem to have it.

Thx

JB

If you can see M45 (the Seven Sisters) to the right of Orion then Lovejoy is to the right of M45. Stellarium is worth downloading but add the comet plug-in to get Lovejoy to show up in the display

Archived