Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 17/01 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

Difficult to get the time to look at the data properly, what with the kids and weekend chores.   However, I managed to get out for a very nice three hours last night with excellent trans and moderate to fair seeing.    Such that I was constantly chasing the focal point.   Oddly enough the L channel seems to have been the most consistent and in focus over the whole evening!

To my eye the following are from the best run of the night, taken at 4000mm/F16 with the Europa 250 and QHY5L-IIM.  1.5x drizzle in AS!2, Wavelets in R6, WJ derotation, with 1.5x upscale and pp in Image Analyzer:

LRGB vs RGB:

post-26731-0-37416700-1421497140.png   post-26731-0-65050000-1421497142.png

These are just the draft/default stack settings, but I will attempt each channel separately and get some APs in for the moons this evening ;)

Nice work jake the lrgb slightly better to my eyes, i too got out but the seeing this end was lousy yet again, the red channel just looked like mush so nothing worth processing!

Seeing was definitely rather novel and it was very difficult to nail down focus - I've never had conditions where the lum comes out better than red or even green.   Definitely agree on the LRGB being an improvement - thanks!    Sorry you didn't get the seeing though, Jupiter should be approaching it's best over the next few weeks - fingers crossed for decent conditions for all of us :).

Here's a quick re-process in wider field to bring in Io, nice colour and disk, but no detail discernable with this level of sharpening.

post-26731-0-15911300-1421502454_thumb.p

Thanks Pete, IA has certainly made a big difference to my workflow and getting much smoother images out now - It feels like everything is coming together now and I/We just need to conditions for some really nice images.      Though as everything is going so well, I better create some drama and strip the rig down to see if I can complete the mirror cell mods and tweak the focuser alignment ;)

Thanks for the the great feedback on this - always welcome and sorry to hear that so many had such poor seeing last night.   Definitely not great down here, but I'm pleased with the results from my OO Europa - it's taken a bit of fettling, but no doubt on the optics and sure it will deliver the goods when the astro gods finally deliver some good conditions (this has to happen sometime, right?).    It's certainly pushed past my best results from last year with the SW Explorer 200P and should keep me in the game until I'm able to fund that C14 ;)

Nice work Jake great to see you getting the results. That oo scope is way past the 200p. looks like your set

Your results will now be a level above what you was getting in the past. That's clear to see. I have always said a great scope is whats needed. Of course seeing is important and technique. But its the scope that starts the ball rolling. you now have a great scope, and good technique. way to go Jake.

Definitely more detail in the reprocessed version.

The background looks to have a slight blue hue. It might be worth tweaking the blue level back a smidge.

Thanks - I agree and will check this out on the laptop tonight

Archived