SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Will this work or am I crazy????

Wolvie

I have an EQ3 pro goto mount and am buying a new skywatcher Quattro 10CF that i plan using on the mount ......... But i want to use my exsisting skywatcher startravel 102 OTA as a guide scope on top.

Is this a crazy idea? will the Quattro be ok to hold the startravel? will the mount be able to hold this weight?

I am probably asking this and most will think its silly so sorry in advance for asking 

Pat

No silly questions here ....... I suspect that you already know the answer though - crazy idea! The EQ3 really isn't up to this payload for visual, let alone imaging.

Sorry, what can I tell you ? :huh:

Thanks just thought I'd ask to be 100% sure guess I will have to find some mor cash at some stage for a better mount the Quattro will be fine on its own on the mount though??

Pat

Take note of what Steve has said, I wouldn't even risk it for visual. A 10" Quatro is going to need a thumping great mount, think AZ-EQ6 *minimum*, and as far up from there as you can afford.

I would say 'daft', ;) an EQ3 just won't support it. Pass wind, and a sail on a mount like that will move. (see sig).

(probably not, although light it has a high windage factor).

Although best of luck, and I sincerely hope I am wrong, because that is a great telescope.

I'm really glad you checked here first Pat before buying that whacking great big Quattro for your little EQ3. 

Aperture really isn't as important for imaging as it is for visual. Have you considered buying a much smaller imaging Newtonian such as the 130pds or a small 70mm ED refractor? They would suit your mount much much better. It would be a great light weight rig which would be good to learn with and would save you a heap of cash, the 130pds is only 159 pounds :) 

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I been laughing (at my own expense) with the mount issue, I am getting the NEQ6 mount and an extra counter weight to run the setup of the quattro and camera.

I'll be selling the startravel and the eq3 mount and getting a guide setup with that.

Still a couple of weeks away and looking into a few mods for the quattro like flocking now so when the gear shows up I can spend time doing that while waiting for the sky to clear :)

Thanks again everyone.

Pat.

Archived