SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury well placed tonight

andrew63

I shot the pair through my 80ED while Venus was visible but Mercury was still lost in the bright sky. They were close to the roof tops while I was looking out of the upstairs window. A little while later, they had dropped into the 'V' between two house roofs, and by then, the sky was dark enough to see the pair naked eye. I've been trying to see and image them all week, but after a number of clear days, each Sun set has seen cloud, rain or snow, blocking the view to the South West. Tonight was my last chance to have them both in the field of view on the 80ED, so I'm really pleased to have caught them. Zooming in on the original picture, you can see Mercury as half phase and Venus as almost full.

Saw it for the second time this evening with the wife and kids while queuing on the motorway for an hour. It kept us amused for a short while (not long enough for our 2 year old, unfortunately!!). I can't believe I've managed to overlook it for so long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived