sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Imaging in poor seeing

Having a look at my forecast tonight, the skies are clear for once, given this is such a rare occurence I really don't want to waste it.

However seeing is very poor...

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/great-britain/weather-horley/seeing

I was just wondering are there targets that are more lenient with poor seeing than others?  Are globular clusters? Nebula? Galaxies? Slightly more tolerant?

I was thinking that avoiding bright stars could be the main things so maybe galaxies?

• Like 1

I have no idea, but I would say, just go and have a play, don't worry about it - it has been cloudy here for so long that I am out tonight no matter what. I'll have a look around and then play about on Orion for a bit.  I've never really given a thought to the quality of the seeing before, so thanks for the link!

• Like 1

Poor seeing will make the atmosphere swim about. I tend to think of it as an atmospheric blur filter. The worse the seeing, the stronger the blurring. Any target is going to be affected, but it will be more noticeable on targets that have lots of fine detail.

The other option on really poor seeing nights, is to use them to practice the things you need to be under the sky to practice, but you do not need brilliant skies for. Drift aligning, for instance. If you go out with expectation that tonight is going to be a skills building night, then you do not get frustrated when the images are not as good as you would like, and you are ready to go when you do get a clear night.