SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid 2004 BL86 is coming!

Here's my sketch. It took about 30 minutes to cover this distance. I cannot be certain the field scale is totally accurate as I was so happy to get a view that i just wanted to get a basic representation but it confirmed the movement and makes my notebook look nice!

post-5119-0-57901400-1422348133_thumb.jp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my sketch. It took about 30 minutes to cover this distance. I cannot be certain the field scale is totally accurate as I was so happy to get a view that i just wanted to get a basic representation but it confirmed the movement and makes my notebook look nice!

attachicon.gif2004 BL86.JPG

Unfortunately I was clouded out. I doubt I have got it with bins in my home sky and it wasn't good timing for me to be getting the scope out.

But anyway, that's a great sketch. It gives those of us that missed it some sense of the motion.

No one else reported seeing the arrow. How bright was it? :D

Unfortunately I was clouded out. I doubt I have got it with bins in my home sky and it wasn't good timing for me to be getting the scope out.

But anyway, that's a great sketch. It gives those of us that missed it some sense of the motion.

No one else reported seeing the arrow. How bright was it? :D

:grin: not sure but it sent me all of a quiver

om my just jumped up and down in my seat I got it on my subs, yey now got to decide how best to process.

Well I got something, not sure if it was the right thing now looking at other pic's, amazing how many little white spots are moving around up there :)

Dave

Gosh this is fiddly it is so faint DSS is not auto finding it so using the comet tool and shift key to force mark the asteroid.

I think if you have 30 second subs it will be easier to find, mine is obviously a line where the stars are round but it is so small!

Taking 5 minutes to find each one eek only another 18 to go. I( have way more subs but the clouds make the images too low quality.

That is all 20 marked and the stacking process is churning, my eyes are exhuasted trying to find it for each frame, too faint for DSS to find it automatically.

Have you got P'Shop ? you can make an animated GIF, couple of other bits of free software to do it as well.

Dave

I have made an animated gif but it is 12Mb and yours is only 5Mb so I need to do a smaller crop of the image I think. I took 82 images! but only 20 useable.

Canon 1100d with vintage 55mm at f2.8 20 lights at 15 seconds ISO 800 hand cranked barn door. FOV 25 degrees

Just how I saw it Mick. If you look away for a minute or so the movement is obvious

I'm glad I got it when I did M, I got up early doors to try to catch it near the Beehive....... and the H2O Nebula had

intervened.

Still nice to get a view of. It seemed to creep, like a moggy stalking a butterfly (Although I did not notice

it wiggling its bum).  Also, it seems it Has a 230 foot wide moon in orbit around it so we were looking at a tiny system

up there.

Smashin!

Mick

I will have to do the crop all over again I missed off one image and then shut the program to free memory and of course my relative crop window went so be later today I will get my gif done, boy way more pouncing around on these images then actually taking them. Apart from the test shots the other images I took I could not use were because the cloud was too dense to locate the asteroid in it.

Anyway have fun finding the asteroid in the attached jpeg as from camera. Roughly taken around 8pm.

post-28282-0-71246900-1422374013_thumb.j

I will have to do the crop all over again I missed off one image and then shut the program to free memory and of course my relative crop window went so be later today I will get my gif done, boy way more pouncing around on these images then actually taking them. Apart from the test shots the other images I took I could not use were because the cloud was too dense to locate the asteroid in it.

Anyway have fun finding the asteroid in the attached jpeg as from camera. Roughly taken around 8pm.

attachicon.gifIMG_9448.JPG

I didn't crop mine just reduced the number of pixels in P'Shop.

Dave

I didn't crop mine just reduced the number of pixels in P'Shop.

Dave

I guess your 100mm refractor has a much narrower field of view. If I resize mine I lose data all over which has a bigger loss impact then if I crop the image instead to focus on the area where the asteroid is.

I agree Mick - great analogy. Despite a fair amount of effort I could not see it move but as soon as you look away and then back again the sneaky little blighter had changed position!  Watched kettles etc.

Big difference from the one I saw last year then. With that one I had to pan the scope every few minutes to keep up with it !

Nice sketch Shane :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts, pictures and videos; there were occasional patches of clarity in Cornwall earlier, with heavier cloud by midnight. Through two gaps in fleeting cloud 5 minutes apart (which kindly also covered the moon and Jupiter at times), with 70% confidence, I saw its relative movement in what I see as the mini Ursa Major asterism which includes HIP41430(hd71310).

Mark: thanks for your chart. The screenshot I posted does show mag10 stars, but they're faint unless you view the larger image by clicking it (I'd not had time to include a more zoomed in image), but was principally posted to help save time for those, like me, trying to understand stellarium in haste. It was really intended to demonstrate how 'near earth objects' could be added to the software, plus bl56's general location. I wondered if the positioning error was a parallax difference because I'd not yet changed it to reflect my correct location (it's a guess)... either that or, just as likely it was simply inaccurate.

Here's to the next one....possibly I'll need that 12"dob I've been promising myself.. certainly if we're to see 2014YB35...

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2014%20YB35;orb=1

This was dim but bright enough to be seen readily in my 120 f5 frac. I thought about my 12" dob but was glad of the wider field of the frac yet again.

Reckon I should have used a Frac Shane, but I'm not sure I would have got it in that either, skies were pretty bright

Archived