SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid 2004 BL86 is coming!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have taken about 30+ frames of where it was... but... it steadly got murkier and I could only do 15 second subs and I don't know if that is going to have been enough to pick up a mag 9 object. The LP in the direction it was is not my best direction to look!

I was taking 20secs ISO3200 30 secs apart and it moved quite a bit between shots and showed as trailing in 20secs.

Dave

oh then I am not sure I got it. I could not hand turn the mount longer than 15 seconds at that direction without general trails creeping in so set at 15 for optimun star shape, ISO 800 as anything higher gave me wash out LP again. The direction and FOV should mean it was covered... will look at the data tomorrow.

I can see it....approaching Dec 5...faint even in my 100mm bins.

Moving v slowly...maybe 15 mins to cross my field of view?

I can confirm its going to miss us.[emoji3]

Mark

Sent from my HTC

Well done Mark :smiley:

I'm still 98% clouded out here - how come Thornbury has some clear sky ???!!! :smiley:

Mark's map made me realise I have spent a frustrating two hours in the wrong time zone! I have been searching cancer in vain.no wonder I could not see it when the clouds finally parted for a few seconds.will try for a but longer but very cloudy now

Mark's map made me realise I have spent a frustrating two hours in the wrong time zone! I have been searching cancer in vain.no wonder I could not see it when the clouds finally parted for a few seconds.will try for a but longer but very cloudy now

I was 5 hours out earlier this evening Shane - looking at an out of date chart :rolleyes2:

This is the best chart I have found and its spot on..

0914c1d560984b297d56e23fc61d8fc5.jpg

However the I can tell your trying to look at something cloud has now arrived![emoji22]

Thanks Mark for this chart! Like others I was using a chart showing it in Cancer. Bagged it once I was in the right place!  Even my wife managed to see it moving! 

Yes! Cloud gods were kind for once and gave me enough time in the right place and got it. just watched for patterns then spotted the star that moved.easy to confirm once located. Used 120mm f5 sw achro and 12 mm nagler. Really chuffed I persevered.

23:57 spotted it approaching southern Cancer, and then passing between a bright star, and a fainter triangle.

(Marked as a pair, just above the 00:00 position on the A/N Chartlet).

I still Cannot see it in 15x70s but the scope shows it well and the movement, though slow is obvious.

1/3 of a mile of space-rock tumbling over my house......nice.

The sky has de-misted a bit as well, about time the weather went the right way.

Mick

Clouds have finally arrived so quitting for the night.  Quite a successful session for a change - bagged about 10 images as I chased it across the sky.  I guess the images just look like a streak of light against a background of indistinct stars but I've still got a kick out of capturing them.

Well, I've just had an hour and a half at the eyepiece with not a cloud in the sky and completely failed to see it! I have no idea where it is! I am now off to bed as clouds are back and I have to be up for work in 4 hours.

Not a good night :angry7:

I am so glad I am not the only one who couldn't see it!! Being in cyprus I struggled to know what time I should have been looking out for it, and when I did stand out looking I couldn't see anything different anyway. I got completely caught up looking at charts and trying to work out where it should have been, but failed....... Went to bed in the end completely deflated by the whole thing!

This stargazing business is so hard!!!

Gemma

Set my alarm for 4am on the off chance there was clear skies....and there was for a change :)

Gave myself plenty of time to set up and sort the dslr focus out etc. Managed to get a good few subs showing it's movement towards the Beehive.

I wanted to have a look through the eyepiece, but i think it had moved more than anticipated. It started to cloud over at 5:45 so I packed up.

Was very pleased to catch this having only heard about it by accident a couple of days ago here on SGL... Spent about half an hour looking and was not far from giving up (eyes kept fooling me stars were moving - thought I was going out of my mind!) when I finally got it at just after 11 passing from Hydra into Cancer through a narrow V of mag 8-9 stars. Had to check several times as at first I thought it was still my eyes playing tricks on me! Very cool.

Glad some of you saw it and my map helped some. I only saw it for a few minutes before the cloud came in John. It was much fainter than I expected. You would struggle without a detailed mag 10 star map. Also it was too slow to see moving without looking then counting to ten and looking again. So if you were hoping to see a moving star like a satellite then your not going to see what you think you are. It was fun!

Well done anyone who saw it. Rightly or wrongly I put the 12" out to have a go and tried at around 11pm. I was in the right place, sure of that using the 80mm RACI, but couldn't see it. Skies were fairly milky so it probably would have been on the limit of what I could see.

Woke at 3, skies clear. Fed baby, woke at 4.15, skies cloudy, chance missed. Shame.

EDIT: To give ClearOutside credit, it was bang on with its forecast, clear up until 3, then cloudy from 4. Must give credit where it is due :-)

Well I had all the information, no doubt the maps I posted on page 1 of this thread were the ones you needed, but I got naff all. From 2100 until about midnight I was looking and looking and trying to star hop but the skies were just not clear enough.

Archived