SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount Set-up

I want to continue to set-up and align my AZ-EQ6 mount using the SynScan handset - star align + polar align - then switch to computer control using EQMOD and Cartes du Ciel; don't ask why, it's a long story and I hope eventually to disperse with the interim handset procedure but, for the moment it works for me.

Q How do I switch from the handset to computer control as they both use the same input point on the mount.  Do I:

(a) Just turn off the mount*, plug in the computer lead, switch on? Has the alignment been retained + will it work?   

(B) Park the scope first then follow the process outlined above in (a)?

© It cannot be done?

(d) Something else?

*Do I even need to turn off the mount before switching?

The important thing is that the alignment is retained after switching and it doesn't upset the mount.    

Thanks. 

If you do (a) then the mount will lose data so you would have to do it all over again.

Seems odd there is just the one port available to you. Usually there is the handset one and an Aux at least.

Would the computer not plug into the handset ?

Parking may work, suspect that this is the best option but no guarantee.

Is there another port for which you need a converter cable?

I want to continue to set-up and align my AZ-EQ6 mount using the SynScan handset - star align + polar align - then switch to computer control using EQMOD and Cartes du Ciel; don't ask why, it's a long story and I hope eventually to disperse with the interim handset procedure but, for the moment it works for me.

Q How do I switch from the handset to computer control as they both use the same input point on the mount.  Do I:

(a) Just turn off the mount*, plug in the computer lead, switch on? Has the alignment been retained + will it work?   

( B) Park the scope first then follow the process outlined above in (a)?

© It cannot be done?

(d) Something else?

*Do I even need to turn off the mount before switching?

The important thing is that the alignment is retained after switching and it doesn't upset the mount.    

Thanks. 

Polar align, reset mount turn off ,mount to computer and start Eqmod,  go to Star  by the computer ajust by Eqmod then Scyn on Star , Eqmod with  do the rest. next Star so on you can put about 30 Stars  in Eqmod.

I quite often run my NEQ6 on the handset when i check PA and adjust it required it does require a 2 star align first but once its done i park the mount remove the handset and plug in the EQDirect lead, now the alignment i have just done doesn't matter its the PA that was important, run EQMod and unpark, then just slew to stars around where your thinking of looking and sync them your back on a track for good slewing ect....just about the same as Starlight 1 typed....

I quite often run my NEQ6 on the handset when i check PA and adjust it required it does require a 2 star align first but once its done i park the mount remove the handset and plug in the EQDirect lead, now the alignment i have just done doesn't matter its the PA that was important, run EQMod and unpark, then just slew to stars around where your thinking of looking and sync them your back on a track for good slewing ect....just about the same as Starlight 1 typed....

This sounds just what I was thinking of.  When you park the mount and remove the handset to plug in the EQDirect lead, do you turn off the power to mount or does the power remain on whilst you swap the SynScan lead for the EQDirect lead?

FYI -  The AZ-EQ6 control sockets are labelled Hand Control and Auto Guide - therefore either the SynScan lead or EQDirect lead has to use the Hand Control Socket.  Also, my understanding is that you can run a basic lead from the Computer /  EQMOD through the handset, then the SynScan handset doubles up for computer control and still works as a handset (?) but I have read comments that this can be prone to issues and a dedicated EQDirect lead is the best way to go.

Eventually I hope to dispense with the handset and use Alignmaster for star and polar alignment but there may be issues with this too as I can not see Polaris or any of the northern sky as my house is in the way!

Many thanks.

I'm not sure I understand why you want/need to use the hand controller when EQMOD has everything (i think) that you need. I don't have a mount yet but I have done my homework on EQMOD and so I do not plan to use the hand controller. Is there something that I am missing?

Miguel

I'm not sure I understand why you want/need to use the hand controller when EQMOD has everything (i think) that you need. I don't have a mount yet but I have done my homework on EQMOD and so I do not plan to use the hand controller. Is there something that I am missing?

Miguel

See the last part of my post - I can not see the northern sky and, for the moment have to rely of the SynScan Polar Alignment procedure, which works quite well.  Again, as I said, if I can get Alignmaster to work I hope to dispense with the handset, in the meantime this seems like a good compromise.   

Miguel

I use the hand set to save time I use a SW GPS that plug in it , So I just take GPS lead out and put pc lead in.

Archived