Hi guys

ciels noirs

Hi all,

I thought I'd better introduce myself before I start invading various threads with my questions! :smiley:

My name is Martin, I'm from north-east England. I've been interested in astronomy for years, but it's only recently that I've taken to stargazing. I'm hoping to broaden my knowledge of astronomy and see the wonders of the night sky for myself, as well as hopefully make some new friends on here.

My telescope is a Visionary Mira Ceti (6" reflector) on what I think is an EQ2 mount.

When I chose my first telescope I was confused with all of the information out there regarding what makes a good telescope and unfortunately I think I may have rushed my decision (too eager to get started probably!). I don't believe I can use a tracking motor with the mount which has made me consider upgrading.

I do a lot of photography, so I'm keen to give astrophotography a try. Hopefully this forum will help me on my journey :laugh:

Nice to meet you all.

Martin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL...the EQ2 might not be the best mount for atsro-photography, but lunar would be a good start as only short exposures are needed. Plus with a good camera and a steady tripod wide field is well within grasp and a great way to learn the sky.

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL - As an imager myself, who used to dabble in photography and thought it would be an easy transition ..... stick to visual for the time being :D It's a totally different ball game and very few skills are interchangeable.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello and welcome to SGL from a fellow Northerner (Geordie).  You're in the right place for advice, I would suggest checking out the Imaging section of the forum for a wealth of information.  Also purchase 'Making Every Photon Count' from FLO before diving into the dark art.

Clear skies,

Tom

Hi and welcome from another north-east noob

not to throw cold water  on your aspirations (oo get that word !) but I have watched a perfectly sane(ish)

friend driven to total distraction by cameras,focus,batteries.cables connectivity etc etc and  I think he has had to sell his wife and kids

only joking !!  but AP is very long and winding Road

Anyhoo CS and good luck

Robin 

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum, my advice would be go along to an Astronomical Society, the nearest to you would be the Cleveland Society. The Society I am a member of is Sunderland which meets at the Washington Wildfowl Centre every Thursday evening and at least two Sunday evenings a month. We have a number of members who are keen imagers and are from all parts of Durham. Talking to Astro Imagers will give you a great insight into the equipment and techniques employed in this hobby. One other tip would be to buy the book Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, this gives a great in depth narrative into astrophotography.  

Regards

dave

Thanks Dave, I will look into that.

Robin - I'm sure the results are well worth the frustration :)

Thank you all again for the welcoming messages, I hope I have some experiences (good or bad) and/or images to share with you all soon.

Martin

Archived