SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just the comet

Very interesting to see it without any stars around it. Excellent level of detail in the tail, did you stretch the image much during processing?

I had to stretch it to death, way past the noise limit, so don't take this quickie too seriously. Unfortunately the second camera on the dual rig had a power or USB problem otherwise I'd have had twice as much data. (Now fixed.)

Stunning! Is there a version with stars?

There is, but the movement of the comet if you align/stack on the stars is so great as a) to smear out absolutely all the tail structure seen here and b ) to generate artefacts within the nucleus. The way to add stars would be to take the stars after the comet has left the field and use Blend Mode Lighten in Ps to layer on the starless comet.

Olly

I managed to get my 383 attached to my ED 80 and managed only 3 180 sec subs in LRGB.

The tail structure however is a huge improvement on my last effort with my Canon. I hope to process it today.

I have been chasing it between the clouds here and I have not had the opportunity to have a clear run on it.

We have snow forecast tomorrow so tonight could be my only window of opportunity

Excellent! Now if you'd imaged it with the camera turned 90° you might have picked up even more tail

GRRRR!!!!!  Yes I know that  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: but we are in the middle of a lunatic O'Donoghue-inspired madness that does not require four nights, it requires four years (and shows every sign of requiring four more  :eek: ) so some passing snowball is not going to get me into a night of rotation, flat derangement etc etc...

I'm only human. Less than human. Have pity! Pretty please... :grin: 

Olly

GRRRR!!!!!  Yes I know that  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: but we are in the middle of a lunatic O'Donoghue-inspired madness that does not require four nights, it requires four years (and shows every sign of requiring four more  :eek: ) so some passing snowball is not going to get me into a night of rotation, flat derangement etc etc...

I'm only human. Less than human. Have pity! Pretty please... :grin: 

Olly

Just me being facetious Olly :grin: Love your images. Keep 'em coming!

Archived