SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rosete with MONO 550D "first light"!

Luis Campos

Hi guys :)

Pretty happy to inform that I succefully debayered my first ever 550D and...oh boy does it perform! This is just a little over 2 hours quick and dirty processing (14x10 min. @ 1600 ISO made with the mono 550D, this camera is still assembled with the frontal LPF1 original IR cut filter  and has no cooling, I'm studiyng a way to apply cooling and I will do it soon :)

The image was captured on my extremelly light polluted back yard with the mighty SW ED80 with 0.8 reducer (480mm f/l) @ f/6 and it's a stack of 14x19 min. subs @ 1600 ISO (13Cº on the exif info).

The sensor still has quite some cleaning work to do but overal the sensitivity is exceptional and I'm a bit in shock here, I was expecting a sensitivity drop due to it's smaller pixels, I'm glad to inform that it didn't, in fact it's quite stunning, 10 min. on a f/6 system with a 7 Nm Ha filter shows a very good signal, can't wait to try it on my 200 mm f/ 4 newt :)

Exciting times ahead!

Rosete nebula 550D MONO 14x600 sec 1600 ISO_test2

Hope you enjoy,

Luís

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW - that's fantastic :)  Looks like I should have pursued this project rather than buy 460EX mono CCD caneras :D  Now I find second hand cameras are getting scarcer.  Been looking for faulty or used 450Ds for ages.  I have one but I'm thinking now that I should do 3 for a triple imaging rig.  My plans for the future are to use one or three debayered 450Ds with my medium rig for wider views, with Baader 36mm unmounted filters (which I have) or maybe with lenses on my widefield rig (when finished).

WOW - that's fantastic :)  Looks like I should have pursued this project rather than buy 460EX mono CCD caneras :D  Now I find second hand cameras are getting scarcer.  Been looking for faulty or used 450Ds for ages.  I have one but I'm thinking now that I should do 3 for a triple imaging rig.  My plans for the future are to use one or three debayered 450Ds with my medium rig for wider views, with Baader 36mm unmounted filters (which I have) or maybe with lenses on my widefield rig (when finished).

Cheers Gina,

It's prety much the same as on a 450D maybe a bit harder to make a final clean to remove al CFA specs but it's doabble :) The worst thingis has you know the cover glass removal.

Once this one's cooled it will be an absolute killer, can't wait to have it ready at 100%

that is a stunner, very impressive,

but how on earth do you go about de bayering a colour camera ? you must have nerves of steel.

Much of the experiences and first tests and techniques were discussed over the DIY forum, with the briliant minds involved some are getting really nice results with debayered cameras, but don't be fooled thinking this is easy, a filter modification is nothing really compared to this ;)

Hi guys :)

Pretty happy to inform that I succefully debayered my first ever 550D

Hi Luis,

Congratulations! And what an interesting timing, I just finished Canon 550D yesterday. Patient is live and well.

I have no test images or anything yet. Actually it was surprise to my friend so it's not up to me, but let's see he can come up with :smiley:

Canon_3.jpg

My observation was that Canon 550D cover glass removal was actually a walk in a park compared to Nikon D5100. That glass is really hard to remove :sad:

To Luis: Great result as usual. Looks very clean and deep.

To Gina: Another alternative is to get a high density sensor DSLR perhaps with cooling and just use an ha clip filter. It will be down in sensitivity and resolution but better than constantly messing about with DSLR sensors and killing them in the process or just wait for a used 383l to show up.

Regards,

Ali

What kind of cooling plan you have for the 550D? I was surprised about the small cold finger space on the 550D yesterday.

For some reason I was expecting a big slot but it was quite crowded.

D5100cool.jpg

In D5100 I have plans to mount it directly on sensor cooling element. It requires some extra solutions to improve thermal transfer but it should be enough.

Note the rubber paint on main board.

I'm consedering the usual aproach, cold finger and TEC unit on the side, but the gap on the sensor's back is only 0.3mm so I must use a two element cold finger, one with around 1.5mm as the main "core" and then use a secondary thin copper or silver plate to add the 0.3mm extension, still in my head though :) Lets see...

Cheers,

Archived