Narrowband

130P Dobsonian or EQ2?

I have narrowed my choice of telescope down to a Skywatcher 130P, which seems to offer decent aperture at a reasonable price for a first telescope. I'd like to look at planets and some DSO's.  I'm not sure if the 130P Heritage on a Dobsonian mount would be better for me than the 130P on the EQ2 mount. I'd like to be able to set up quickly each time and move the telescope to locations with a dark sky, that's why I though the Hertiage might be a better choice, plus it looks like it would be easier to store when not in use.  By comparison, how long would it take to set up the EQ2 mount each use?

For ease of use and also portability, the flexi tube Dob is the best choice, the 130 EQ2 will take

longer to set up, the EQ2 is ok but a little unstable, but you soon get used to it, the flexi will need

a table to raise it to a comfortable height for observing, they are both great starter scopes, the flexi

is f/5 so you can upgrade the stock eyepieces quite cheaply when you fell the need to, and also

for set up and putting away the flexi only take only a couple of minuets.

Hiya,

Can't comment on the dob version, but I had a 900mm 130p on an EQ2 as a first scope and absolutely loved it! Set up doesn't take long and is easy to get to grips with, the scope holds collimation very well, and as Ron said, eyepiece upgrades are pretty cheap (a few Revelation Plossls made a huge difference to mine).

The longer focal length of the EQ2 mounted version (assuming you go for a 900mm one) will yield a little higher magnification.

Kev.

I was going to suggest that IF money would stretch, go for the  SW 150P Dob which will be better in many ways than both, but then came across this:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=88878

Not sure where in Northants you live (I assume) Simon [my old home county] but Milton Keynes is not so far away.

If you could stretch to that it would be a brill buy. They are not to heavy and you could pick up some cheapist eyepieces for not a lot extra on UKabs

HI,

I'll just chip in with my experience, I've got the 130p EQ2, and i keep the mount set up in my garage and the scope tucked away safely in my house It takes 10 mins to get it set up outside, if i set up the mount each time it would maybe take me 5 mins more, and another 5 mins to take it down again. I've not yet taken the scope anywhere other than my garden but I don't think it will be much of a problem when i do. the heritage is probably more the transportable of the two, but the EQ2 isn't hard to carry about (which also means its a bit less stable, but you can't have everything)

Phil.

I was going to suggest that IF money would stretch, go for the  SW 150P Dob which will be better in many ways than both, but then came across this:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=88878

Not sure where in Northants you live (I assume) Simon [my old home county] but Milton Keynes is not so far away.

That looks great, but I'm a little worried about the size of it for storage and for taking out and about in search of dark skies.

Hi Simon,

Without knowing your situation, or concerns regarding the size of the 200, I would say it's definitely a better scope. I went for a 250PX dobsonian (a 10 inch) as an upgrade from the 130P and it takes up no more space that the smaller scope (I used to keep the 130 on the tripod and fully assembled and ready to go) – in fact the footprint is less than the 130's tripod. My 250 fits in the car (a Picasso), and can be easily carried when split into the base and tube assembly. Also, there's less setup required with a dobsonian as compared to an EQ mount ...

Kev

I have the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ which is mounted on a GEM mount, requiring Polar alignment.

I also have the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P which uses the Dobsonian mount.

For observations only, I dont use a GEM/EQ mount anymore and probably wont again. I can set up and use the GEM no problem, but the Dobsonian system is just pure simple in its design, with ease of operation and ease of use.

Any telescope needs photons, so the more it collects, the better its capability. Consider this for DSO observation.

For Astrophotography, there is no doubt I would have to use an EQ mount like an EQ5.

No matter what you purchase, there will always be something better, bigger, dearer?

Eventually, you will find your solution. Im very happy with my system right now, its just over a Year old, and still adding EPs to the collection!

I would love to try the 10" and 12" Dobsonian, but theres no rush. Considering what I have, and the results produced ( which are much improved when I venture out to darker sites ) the 8" could easily be one of the most capable starter scopes available, remaining as your lifetime telescope.

That looks great, but I'm a little worried about the size of it for storage and for taking out and about in search of dark skies.

You seriously wouldnt have a problem, tube about 8kg and mount the same but they come apart and will fit into most cars easily

Archived