SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Lovejoy from Northumberland

Hi,

I got my first confirmed view of comet Lovejoy finding it quite easily in 10x25 binocs and also with the naked eye, just. Through my binocs it looked a small smudge of light, quite fuzzy and slightly blue (perhaps a blue green), but I couldn't see the tail.

With the naked eye, it was just visible, but that was all. My visual limiting magnitude is about 5.5, so pretty pleased to have seen it with the naked eye.

I wouldn't have been able to locate it by eye if I hadn't found it in my binocs first. Mind I would have struggled to find it with binocs had I not spent the last 3 hours imaging it with a C11 although it was quite bright and visible in the guidescope (finderscope), now processing the results and will post in the imaging section tomorrow.

Best of luck finding it if you can get out over the next week, it has made its closest approach to earth and is on its way to the sun now.

Robin

Archived