Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

A short time-lapse of the comet C/2014 Q2 travelling through a patch of London sky on 10th January 2014. The five second clip shows just under an hour of real time movement. - 82 x 20 second exposures at 3200 ISO (one shot every 40 seconds). Playback is at 15 frames per second. Sorry about the gif quality, I don't know if it's possible to show higher quality video here :)

post-33955-0-20150400-1421073158.gif

• Like 11

Certainly moving along.

You can only post animated GIFs otherwise post on Y'Tube and link.

Dave

• Like 1

Certainly moving along.

You can only post animated GIFs otherwise post on Y'Tube and link.

Dave

Ah thanks Dave...I think I'll go the YouTube route next time  :smiley:

Nice one. You clearly got better skies than in here in Groningen. I managed no more than 10 40 second frames

Yes we were lucky with the weather that night but it was very windy so the scope was moving quite a bit which meant I had to delete about two thirds of what I shot. Fortunately I was able to get 82 reasonably stable shots in a row. I hope you get some clear sky in Groningen soon  :smiley:

Yes we were lucky with the weather that night but it was very windy so the scope was moving quite a bit which meant I had to delete about two thirds of what I shot. Fortunately I was able to get 82 reasonably stable shots in a row. I hope you get some clear sky in Groningen soon  :smiley:

Thanks, but the forecast is bleak :(

That's fantastic! I had no idea the movement showed over just one hour. Roll on clear skies so I can give it a go.

• Like 1

I like that a lot :) Did you use a LP filter?

Cheers

Will

Hi Will, yes I did use a LP filter ( unfortunately necessary in London). They are helpful but they do cut out a lot of light which may explain why I haven't yet managed to resolve the comet's tail in the stacked images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.