Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How dark are my skies?? (or yours)

An easy method to measure your sites sky darkness with a DSLR.

http://www.pbase.com/samirkharusi/image/37608572&exif=Y

In my village I get 12 mins to half histogram, or a Visual Limiting Magnitude around 6.4 or Mag/sq arc" = 21.

At least this is what it was tonight, which looks pretty average for a clear night before moonrise and with street lights going.

--Jack

An interesting read, but not for me I'm afraid, although thanks for the article.

As I am not planning to move house I use the simplified version.

When I look up if I can see lots of stars = good, if my glasses get covered by rain = not good.

I follow Rich, I take a look and decide. :icon_salut:

Am in a place where there is light pollution, but they conveniently switch off some of the lights at midnight. My road is plunged into darkness of a sort in about half a second. I cannot see Lovejoy before they go off but it is easy when they are switched off.

Not every light goes so there is LP bouncing around and that depends on the atmosphere and what is in it. :clouds1:

LP is not the only factor. If you had a site so dark you were afraid to walk as you could see in front or around you but 365 days of cloud you are not going to see a star or nebula. To me dark is secondary, clear is primary. They build observatories where it is most likely to be clear, not necessarily where it is dark. It is the number of clear nights that are important to them.

Consider can you see more under a dark clouded sky or under a clear light polluted sky?

Problem with the UK is the dark and the cloudy bits tend to be the same.

As I write this during my lunch break, i dont remember the numerical scale ( it varies ) but I go outside, observe the sky, then adjust Stellarium to match what I see visually. I can then take a measurement from Stellarium if needed.

I'll have to try a measurement with my DSLR after I have studied the link. See if the Nikon is up to it ?

So, tonight I get 15s @ ISO 12800, f/4, which caculates out as 240s @ISO 800 and a sky brightness of about 19.9, visual limiting magnitude about 5.4.

That seems around right to me - it's not great but not bad in terms of transparency tonight. The milky way isn't really visible (maybe it would be if completely dark adapted). I'll have to try to remember to do this again when we next have a crystal clear night.

Thanks for the link :)

Robin

Archived