Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding advice sought - scope and camera

Hi all,

I have an ST120 and am really getting the imaging bug, despite the lack of clear skies recently. The next step for me would be to add guiding. As I understand it, things are simplified as I have a 600mm FL scope. This should have at least 1 bright star, no matter what t's pointing at, so I won't need a hugely sensitive (and costly) camera.

What kind of focal length guide scope would I need, given that my imaging scope is 600mmFL? Is there a rough formula for it? What are the preferred models?

Given that I won't need a very sensitive camera, what would be suitable? I quite fancy the idea of butchering a webcam and getting that to work. Any suggestions as to suitable model?

Regards

Richard

Can anyone advise on a suitable webcam which could be adapted for use? I appreciate that something like a QHY5 would be much better, but I'd rather not pay that sort of money. I understand that i will need an adapter and possibly a long exposure mod. WHat does modding involve - is it a software or hardware mod?

Regards

Richard

Archived