SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

comet

marsmuncher

Well lovely clear skies over West Yorkshire, unfortunately have to go out in ten mins so just got my 10x50 & 25x70 Bins out to have a scan for Lovejoy, I checked its position for the present time 20:10  16th Jan  , and thought 'oh this is going to be easy'  below Pleiades to the right slightly, straight across from Alderbaran , well after 30mins I could not find it, fuzzy blob or anything like !! please tell me it is still visible and was I looking in the right place, how long is it staying and will I be able to get a better view in my 8" DOB next clear sky night  we have in January.

Elrico

( Eric))

Just come in from another binocular session. I'm nowhere near ready for getting the Dobsonian telescopes out (garden needs 'astro' work!) but was in the garden gazing that that beauty, Lovejoy.

There is a discernible fat tail emanating from the left hand side now, fascinating to watch. Naked eye, it looks like a fuzzy star.

Also did a sweep of Jupiter, Orion, the star clusters in Auriga and the Double Cluster.

Astronomy is so easy with the binoculars!!!

And with a lovely hot cup of tea to keep warm.  :)

Had scope out cooling for 45mins ... Beautiful sky ... Set up parasol to shield my body heat from setting off neighbours PIR 'searchlight' ... Checked stellarium for Lovejoy location ... Turned off all rear lights in house ... Made wife cup of tea ... Excused myself to catch Lovejoy for 1st time ... Noted big bank of cloud from nowhere ... Took down scope :( ... Opened bottled of wine ... Browsing SGL on phone!! :)

Well lovely clear skies over West Yorkshire, unfortunately have to go out in ten mins so just got my 10x50 & 25x70 Bins out to have a scan for Lovejoy, I checked its position for the present time 20:10  16th Jan  , and thought 'oh this is going to be easy'  below Pleiades to the right slightly, straight across from Alderbaran , well after 30mins I could not find it, fuzzy blob or anything like !! please tell me it is still visible and was I looking in the right place, how long is it staying and will I be able to get a better view in my 8" DOB next clear sky night  we have in January.

Elrico

( Eric))

Seen tonight with my binoculars 12:10pm, too cloudy earlier on to set up DOB, mission accomplished though !,,

Archived