Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

About to buy!!!!!!

recceranger

Ok,

After much deliberating I'm about to purchase my new scope to add to the arsenal.  Brought it down to three candidates;

1.  MAK 180 Pro (with purchased after market SCT - Moonlight/Baader/SW and dew shield) - £1020

2.  SW ED120 Pro £1050 (ish!)

3.  SW ED120 Equinox (will use diagonal and 9x50 finder from my SW ED80) £1300

If anyone has any final opinions now's as good a time as ever, Lol

Primary is visual, secondary AP and OTA mounted on HEQ5

Could you enlighten a Newbie as to what the "after market SCT - Moonlight/Baader/SW" is, as it adds about £250 to the price so far as I can see looking at an ad for the MAK 180. Guess it's obvious to most, but sorry not to me.

the moonlite/baader/sw is either a moonlite or baader focuser and a sky watcher fitting kit

the moonlite/baader/sw is either a moonlite or baader focuser and a sky watcher fitting kit

Thanks,

As I said, maybe obvious to old hands, but newer folk perhaps need a little more explanation, but then I guess if we don't understand, we're probably not in a position to comment and help the OP anyway.

Thanks guys

Chris, I can assure you that you're not too far behind me in the knowledge front! Lol. The SCT will be purchased if I get the the MAK 180. The issued SCT on the MAK is poor. The Focuser that comes with the ED120 Pro is fine but could be improved by fitting an upgraded Crayford Focuser although this isn't immediately necessary

The ED120 Equinox has a good Crayford Focuser straight out of the box

Been toying with a Refractor myself for imaging, as I know lots of people use them, but want to be able use it for visual too, hence now looking for a 200PDS or similar. It's quite a task to pick a scope you are happy with and then part with hard earned cash to buy it - don't envy you

Chris

The Mak180 is the Marmite of telescopes - you either love it or hate it.  It wont be much use for imaging unless its planetary webcam stuff  but don't write it off for visual as only being a planetary scope.  Its no slouch at Deep Sky if the object is compact.  If you do end up going that route you may be happy with the onboard focuser - I wasn't because the image shift drove me nuts every time I refocused. You will also need to budget in a heated dew shield for it plus controller because it is a total dew magnet under most conditions.

Personally I love mine BUT only after I had spent out on dew control and an external focuser and only after a lot of self doubt with it. Its really not a scope for everyone - its quite heavy as well - it might look small in pics but its a beast in weight for its size.

For me it complements an 8" Newt for Deep Sky and a 4" Achromat for grab and go - I am not sure I would go the Mak 180 route without a running mate for deep sky work that capable of giving the wide view for stuff like the Beehive.

I did a review on one thats on my site if thats any help but I think if imaging is likely to figure large in your thinking the APO might be the better bet.

Astro Baby,

Thanks and yes I have read your review. The scope is for visual and roger to your upgrade on the SCT/dew control etc. I was planning the same improvement on the MAK. On the Wide Field piece, I'm happy enough with my ED80 Pro. It's everything I need and covers my AP addiction

Night fisher,

I like straight forward statements, if only our politicians could learn about straight forward answering! Lol

Just out of curiosity, I was looking for a refractor (and am clueless at this point). The SW ED80 Pro seems to be the obvious choice of many. They must be good as no one seems to want to sell them on?

Am I right in thinking that SW have firmly cornered this particular niche and buying something advertised as "similar to SW 80ED Pro" will inevitably end in disappointment?

T,

If you are after an APO Frac around 80mm you can expect to fork out £400 - 500. The SW ED80 Pro is in and around this figure. You can pay out more but to be honest you will have a high performance scope if you go for the 80 Pro.

Additionally, some more expensive ED80 OTA's come without accessories such as EP's, diagonal and or finder scope. The SW ED80 comes out of the wrapper ready to go with no need for additional bits and pieces (less a mount of course!)

I certainly am very pleased with the views in mine which has made many a pleasurable viewing

Archived