sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Sun 11th Jan Solar - Yesterdays prom still on the increase - Radian Versus SLV

Pig

Good morning after a great night time viewing its now time for some solar.

Only 3 hours sleep but the sun waits for no one..

The 3O'clock prom from yesterday has expanded outward and is looking fantastic, well worth a look, the prom on the opposite side is also looking a lot meaner although it is a weird shape. There are also a lot of proms spread about the limb, its looking good for anyone with solar capability. The surface detail is top notch again with loads of granulation and some lovely spots, that lovely Ha winter orange also looks grand :laugh:

I did a quick comparison using the 6mm SLV and Radian both in the Hershel wedge with the polarising filter turned to it brightest position. I am not going to rattle on about the differences and in short the SLV gives the brighter view and delivers more contrast.

This does not mean the Radian isn't brilliant because it is, every thing I could see with the SLV was about there with the Radian, the SLV is just that bit better and given that the SLV is the cheaper of the two says quite a bit.

The radian is also heavier and longer than the SLV and it looks a bit odd when Barlowed, so if weight and aesthetics are an issue to you bare this in mind.

Update:

The prom in the 9 O'clock position and has just lost the plot and is looking pretty spectacular :shocked:

Edited by Pig
  • Like 6

Lovely report, Shaun. I'm going to quickly tidy the house before my girlfriend gets home and then I'll nip up to the roof for a white light sketch session :smiley:. Strange as it may sound, I think I dreamt of you last night Shaun :p My brain told me 'exciting times' with you getting the Quark and already having the 60mm. Really looking forward to feelings on this one :grin: Nice to hhear you had a good session last night. Seems like many were able to take advantage of the clear in the weather.

• Like 1

By the looks of the forecast Gordon it isn't going to stay clear in Northants past midday, which is surprising because I cannot see any clouds whatsoever :smiley:

I have moved into the front garden and the sun has gone behind a leafless tree, and you can the silhouette of two birds against the orange sun,it would make a nice picture.

One of the Joys of solar observing is that an age does not pass between sessions and that it is warmer.

• Like 1

LoL that's very strange Rob because I too had a dream about not getting a confirmation e-mail for the order of the Quark  :grin:

I am looking forward to getting the Quark I think it will compliment the Lunt, the surface detail is excellent today and it will be great to compare the two side by side.

I look forward to your pretend drawings that are really photographs :grin:

I am not sure if I should have stayed up so long in the cold last night but it was to clear to not take advantage, my cold has come back a bit but I am sure a visit to the steam room will sort it out :laugh:

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1

Very nice report, Shaun, and interesting that the SLV won. I was tempted to get an SLV or two a while back, sounds like it would have been a good choice! I think I went for the TS HR Planetary instead, which I'd rate not quite as good as a Radian, but still a good EP and arguably better value than Radian, with most of the performance for about a third of the cost.

Was very happy to get my solar fix today, in H-alpha that big tree prom was sweet, and as you say, the Sun gave us plenty of things today. One filament looked really 3D near AR2259, and there was a huge S-shaped filament closer to the centre of the disc. Not sure if it was all one filament, if not it looked like it was somehow "connected" bending in the same shape, and the length if straightened out would I think be longer than the distance from Earth to the Moon!!

The seeing was going a bit when I switched to white light, but I loved the complex shattered spots in AR2257 :cool:

So lucky to have got solar done both days over the weekend, given the dodgy forecast and winds! And nipped out in the early hours to grab a few lunar shots. Hope some other folks got lucky.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 3

Luke,

I will give the Radian another couple of trials on the Moon and some doubles when I get the opportunity, I think the SLV's are simply a very good performer and will take some beating for the price.

The SLV's are fantastic for both Ha and white light, I will let you know what the 25mm is like when the Quark gets here :laugh:

Its a pity the clear spell didn't last all day because I could have sat there with a nice bottle of wine hypnotising myself :laugh: roll on summer

• Like 2

Great report Shaun, did you catch up on some sleep this afternoon?

Managed to pop the Quark out in the 60mm this morning. Lovely views of the tree prominence plus plenty of others too as described by others. Lots going on and nice to be able to grab a look at it despite plenty of other things going on this weekend.

• Like 1

Not really Stu :smiley: but I didn't really exert myself Saturday during the day and apart from a trip to the sauna earlier I haven't exactly overdone it today  :shocked: 

The quark appears to be a very versatile piece of kit.

• Like 2

Not really Stu :smiley: but I didn't really exert myself Saturday during the day and apart from a trip to the sauna earlier I haven't exactly overdone it today :shocked:

The quark appears to be a very versatile piece of kit.

Sounds very relaxed!! I ended up stripping wallpaper and tiles in our downstairs loo; another genius plan from Mrs Mak [emoji13]

The quarks aren't perfect by any means but they are, as you say, very versatile. In the 60mm they still give great views and show the full disk, whilst in the 120, and even 150, the up close views are spectacular. I'm less bothered about trying to achieve full disk in the larger aperture now, although I still have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to try [emoji6]

I'm tempted to get a used 150mm f8 to save worrying about pointing the Vixen at the sun [emoji15]

• Like 2

....when the Quark gets here

The quark appears to be a very versatile piece of kit.

Sorry. Am I missing something here? Is there something you're waiting for, Shaun. Something you're looking forward to?

Now what could that be ...?

• Like 1