Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New celestron 6se

Hiya Redfox,

I would go for two BST Starguiders for the budget you have. 

If I remember correctly the 6SE has a focal length of 1500mm so I would go for around an 8mm for planets giving you 187x magnification and a 25mm for DSO's giving you 60 x magnification. :smiley:

Alternatively you could buy them secondhand and you may be able to snaeak a 6mm in to the mx for that little extra magnification.

A zoom eyepiece would also be a good option for you and it will also help you determine what size eyepieces suit you and your set up the best..

Good luck, there are many options but hopefully this will help guide you in the right direction.

I'd be tempted to go a little lower with the magnification and look at 30mm for x50 mag. Maks have a narrow FOV but with at x50 you'll get 1 degree with a plossl design which is large enough for most DSOs.

The 25mm BST will also give 1 degree, being a 60 degree eyepiece the big extra magnification is cancelled out by the bit extra field of view.

25mm BST @ 60 degree:

Mag = 1500/25 = 60, view = 60/60 =1

30mm 50 degree plossl:

Mag = 1500/30 = 50x, view = 50/50 = 1

Both the same. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Better is the 25mm Antares W70.

Mag = 1500/25 = 60, view = 70/60 = 1.16 deg.

For DSO's and for initial setting up a 32mm - maybe a Televue - would probably be best.  For planets there is no one best eyepiece as it will depend on seeing conditions.  Get a zoom like the Skywatcher 7 - 21mm and see how often you use the various settings and then decide on single eyepieces, possible wide-angle.  Do take your time even if the money is burning a hole in your pocket.  There will be lots of things you want to buy later on!

I had this one for a while with my Nexstar 6

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p466_Baader-Hyperion-Mark-III-Zoom-8-24mm-Okular---68----1-25----2-.html

Then i found out that 8mm and 21mm is my most used lengths, and then sold that one and got those each separate (as they have a greater FOV as with the Zoom)

The hyperions also have a possibility to scren on directly to a DSLR with the appropriate adapter, maybye thats of interest for you.

For DSO though you will probably be using 24mm or even more most often.

Kind regards, Graem

• 1 month later...

hi all

updating this post

after ordering the 6se I had a change of mind and cancelled the 6se as astrophotography is limited with the se mount, even though its not top of the agenda yet I thought I would future proof myself and get a equatorial mount for around the same budget so after a lot of thinking and mind changing I am now the  owner of a celestron 6" newt on a vx mount with  a couple of x-cel eyepieces + x-cel 2x barlow

just waiting for clear skys now

thanks for all your  advice :)

Archived