Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Hi all, before going comet hunting tonight I went and found a nice vantage point to observe tonights conjunction of Venus and Mercury.  I believe I read they were around 1degree separated.  They look great hanging low in the dusk sky and Mars was also visible higher up and more southerly. I took quite a few images but this 4sec ISO100 shot was my favourite.

IMG_5654.cr2.tif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116958085@N07/16246201211/

Love that, especially with the car zooming passed! It was a lovely site just after sunset behind the trees last night.

• Like 1

Thankyou very much, I thought I had missed it at first as it looked much lower on my planetarium app. My fave westerly spot was not suitable so I went hunting for somewhere else and was against the clock! Got some good luck here considering the recent weather.

Nice atmospheric shot - love the foreground too - well done :police:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

• By Cosmic Geoff
      I had another go at imaging the shrinking Mars, this time without and with a x2 Barlow lens.  The results are better with the Barlow, which is what one is led to expect.   For whatever reason (probably bad seeing and/or low planets) when I tried a Barlow previously it just made the blur bigger.  Equipment: C8 SE, ASI120MC, x2 Skywatcher kit Barlow element screwed directly into 1.25" barrel of the ZWO camera.   This does seem to give x2 in practice.  I did not use an ADC on the grounds that I shouldn't need one with Mars at an altitude of over 40 degrees.
      3000 image video captured with Sharpcap. Processed in Registax6.  I found that the Sharpcap exposure histogram did not appear to work on such a small image, so had to estimate the exposure.   Yes, optical ADC correction would be better, but the dispersion seemed very small.  Blowing up the image x2 in Registax showed a small colour fringe, which I took out with a single point of correction.
      The images show some surface detail though the contrast is low (if you are using a flatscreen try viewing from below: 🙄)  Mare Sirenum, with Mare Acidalium just discernible foreshortened at upper right. 

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here is an image of Mars I made on 9 Jan this year, with a C8 SE, and ASI120MC camera.  The images are rather small (around 7" dia).  Mars is now much higher in the sky than at opposition, so it seemed worth taking a few farewell images as it diminishes in size. Captured with Sharpcap.
      I did not use the ADC - the images are corrected for AD in the processing in Registax.  This is from a run of 3000 images.  I have included a x3 Photoshop zoom of the same image to indicate the size of Mars at opposition on the same scale.  I was quite pleased to record some surface detail, corresponding with the position of Syrtis Major.  If I'd had more time, I could have tried some images using a Barlow lens. I have just discovered that I can unscrew the lens section from a Skywatcher x2 Barlow and screw it onto the 1.25" nosepiece of the ASI120MC, which will give a more modest zoom (I think).

• By Willgiffotron
      Hi. I’m kind of new to stargazing and I want to view mars. On the website I bought my telescope from it says that planetary observation can be done with clear images being produced but I can’t see much of Mars and I was wondering what eyepiece would be best it has a 114 mm apature.
      thanks for any help you can provide.

• By cjbrankin
      Hi everyone

Ages since I was here. Anyhow the recent Mars-Neptune conjunction on Dec 7 prompted me to try to capture it with my Canon 350D and 300mm lens on a fixed tripod. Both images are stacks of about 10 images with exposure of about 1s.
      Taken at dusk.

Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.