Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first real Bino session

DRT

I have owned a pair of Celestron 25x70 Skymasters for quite a while but never got along wth them because they were just too wobbly. I then read some threads here and realised they are too high powered for hand-held observing so bought a pair of Pentax 8x40 PCF WP IIs - wow! what a difference.

Tonight I spent an hour on a garden recliner looking at some usual suspects: Orion Nebula; The Double Cluster; Pleiades and the Andromeda Galaxy. I also had a look at Comet Lovejoy Q2 and some lovely open clusters in Perseus, which is currently close to the zenith and difficult to get to with some of my scopes.

I was surprised at how much can be seen through such low powered optics but this experience really has opened my eyes and convinced me that I don't have to fill my boot with astro gear every time I go on a weekend trip to the country :smile:

Same here im a beginner and tried out my 8x42 birding binos tonight unbelievable what you can see, I think I want to get something a little bit more now though maybe 10x50 

I was thinking the same thing! This feels like yet another astro slipper slope! :lol:

Done much the same targets as above using my 20X80's on a Manfrotto 055 tripod & 234 head in a local park. :bino2:

Definitely an eye-opener using binoculars instead of a telescope when sky conditions allow and what can be seen.  :icon_salut:

Same here im a beginner and tried out my 8x42 birding binos tonight unbelievable what you can see, I think I want to get something a little bit more now though maybe 10x50 

I was thinking the same thing! This feels like yet another astro slipper slope! :lol:

Put that thought away, guys. Seriously.

Most of what you gain in aperture, you will lose in shake. Unless you are going to at least a decent 70mm and mounting it, the only upgrade worth doing from 8x42 is better glass. Whilst I still think a decent 10x50 is a good all-round astro bino, there really is little advantage over a 8x40-ish of similar quality.

Just my £0.02...

I love my 20x80 bins even thought they're now competing with a 12" dob. It's so relaxing and satisfying to use them and for some objects I think the views are more impressive (pleiades and double cluster, for example) because of the context they provide. They're also great for showing things to other people through - novices seem to find it easier to observe through binoculars than a scope!

P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived