Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very annoying situation, someone please help!

twelly27

hi all,

ive taken 700+ photos of the sky the other night for a timelapse video, i accidentally renamed them all and now when i out them into star trails to use the timelapse function they end up being in the wrong order, the pictures with a number 1 at the start of the file name all group together, it goes 1 10 100 101 etc how do i sort this :(

thanks chris 

I have had a quick look at star trails and as far as I can tell the order doesn't affect the finished result.  It just stacks the photos to get a finished image combining all the images.

I have had a quick look at star trails and as far as I can tell the order doesn't affect the finished result.  It just stacks the photos to get a finished image combining all the images.

im not using it for the creation of star trails though, im using it to produce a timelapse video of the sky :/

im not using it for the creation of star trails though, im using it to produce a timelapse video of the sky :/

Sorry I should have answered the question.  -- if you can't do it programatically then maybe use a file rename tool such as

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

The problem is the files are sorted alphabetically so you need to rename them 001 002 ... 010 ... 020 ... 100 ..   etc

Sorry I should have answered the question.  -- if you can't do it programatically then maybe use a file rename tool such as

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

The problem is the files are sorted alphabetically so you need to rename them 001 002 ... 010 ... 020 ... 100 ..   etc

thas what i was worried about, ill have to go through 753 pictures and rename them 1 by 1, going to take ages :( ill try that program first though 

thanks 

Click the open files button...and click the right most button on the top row and select "Details"

st1.jpg

Make sure Date and date modified is in the list (Date should do)

st2.jpg

Click the "Date" heading. Select the first one and hold shift and scroll down to the last one and click it to select all. Then open...

st3.jpg

Hope that works...

Click the open files button...and click the right most button on the top row and select "Details"

st1.jpg

Make sure Date and date modified is in the list (Date should do)

st2.jpg

Click the "Date" heading. Select the first one and hold shift and scroll down to the last one and click it to select all. Then open...

st3.jpg

Hope that works...

all the files are still being listed as 1 10 100 101 etc ive started the program to see what happens when the time lapse is done, if it doesnt work ill leave it 

View the files in  browser with a chronoligocal sort, select all the files makeing sure the earliest file is the start of your selection, then rename them something like trials, windows should then add a (1), (2) etc on the end, if this is not picked up as an order buy the softwae you need to remove the brackets.

open the window where the files are stored, select the file. and press F2 to rename, use the arrow keys to navigate the files.

hi all,

ive taken 700+ photos of the sky the other night for a timelapse video, i accidentally renamed them all and now when i out them into star trails to use the timelapse function they end up being in the wrong order, the pictures with a number 1 at the start of the file name all group together, it goes 1 10 100 101 etc how do i sort this :(

thanks chris 

Hi Chris,

If you have a windows PC then load all your pictures into a folder set up in 'My Pictures'... Name the folder whatever you like. (note you need to set up the folder first.)

Go to 'My Pictures' and open the folder.

On the toolbar at the top select 'View' and select 'Details' from the drop down list... this will list all the files along with the data for each.

Select 'View' again and then select 'Arrange Icons By' then select 'Picture taken on'... this will sort them into Date order and also Time each was taken.

They will now be in the correct sequence for your Timelapse.

Select all pictures then Copy and paste into your Timelapse programme.

Should get you sorted.

Hope this helps.

Keep happy.

Sandy. :grin:

EDIT: you should be able to copy the folder contents directly from you Timlapse Programme... Using Copy saves the originals in the folder... probably quicker than using Copy and Paste, since with 700 pictures you would probably need to copy and paste in blocks of pictures or you may get out of memory issues.

Earl's answer will work, but the first file needs to be the last one in the selected sequence, like  selecting from 1st to 10th file(in date order), if you rename them the 10th file will be the first one and then windows will rename in the date order from the second one and so on. So is better if you select backwards, from 10 to 1(in date order not numerically).

Archived