Back with a new scope!

Quarky

Hi happy new year to you all. Have not been on here for quite a while and been meaning to get myself a new telescope. After much researching on here decided to treat myself to the ever popular skywatcher skyliner 250px dob, also after reading lots of praise for FLO went with them and must say they did provide an excellent service. Yet to try out the scope but looks immense!! Currently going over astro baby's guide to collimation and practising on my old much smaller newt, do not have much experience with collimating, trying to build up my confidence before I fiddle with the dob! May of misread but on the instructions that come with the scope it states that the flat head screws are the adjusting screws yet on the diagram it shows them as the locking screw?

Looking forward to clear skies, also hope to join an astronomy club this year!

Josh

Norfolk

Hi Josh and welcome back to the forum. Hopefully someone with the same scope will be able to answer your specific question on which are the adjustment screws.

Clear skies for your new scope and hope you enjoy your stay.

Congratulations on your new purchase! I would be interested to know what you have found at the back end of the scope where the collimation screws are. There seem to be two options - either knurled knobs for both types, or slotted-head collimation screws and grub screws which need an Allen key, for the locking screws. The former knurled knob type also have springs between the mirror cage and the tube end casting, the latter type have neoprene O rings instead. I am curious to hear what you have found with your brand new scope!  

Hi Quarky and welcome back, that 250px Dob is one big scope and if you have some dark skies, will provide some splendid views of DSO. As you are concerned about the adjusting screws, I would suggest you raise the matter in the Discussion scopes Whole set ups section which should prove helpful to you :)

Archived