Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best value bins for around £200.

lankywolf

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite fancied the WO 10x50 ED's or a decent 8x40 to 'replace' my Olympus DPS1,BUT seeing as mrs. MoA has graciously allowed me a new sope AND a mount recently,I best not push it!

I find literary quotations interesting, even if I don't always agree., Could this be appropriate?

Don't fool yourself that you are going to have it all. You are not. Psychologically, having it all is not even a valid concept. The marvelous thing about human beings is that we are perpetually reaching for the stars. The more we have, the more we want. And for this reason, we never have it all.
- Dr. Joyce Brothers
MorA - not knowing when to push it, is a good skill usually learned the hard way - enjoy your new scope.

Once again, thank you all for your advice.

I think i'm going to go with the Helios Apollo's 15x70's.  I'll put them on my Camlink tripod rather than try and hand hold them.

I'll try and re-collimate my Revelations as well (thanks for the link nicoscy) and maybe let the kids have a go with these.  I forgot to mention the other fault with my Revelations is that the mounting bush has become loose (I've tried re-tightening it, but it just goes round and round forever without tightening) and they wobble significantly when mounted so might as well be used as hand held anyway now. So at least my lovely tripod won't feel left out with some nice new bins to prop up.

I find literary quotations interesting, even if I don't always agree., Could this be appropriate?

Don't fool yourself that you are going to have it all. You are not. Psychologically, having it all is not even a valid concept. The marvelous thing about human beings is that we are perpetually reaching for the stars. The more we have, the more we want. And for this reason, we never have it all.
- Dr. Joyce Brothers
MorA - not knowing when to push it, is a good skill usually learned the hard way - enjoy your new scope.

A Very valid point! Have we always been avaricious (I suppose that we have),or is our perceived 'need' for the new or the 'better'  feed by  advertising and peer pressure? You only need to look at the recent queues for the latest smart phone to appreciate this last point!  Then again,I do have an urge to collect things,that I need to reign in sometimes! A great quote I read years ago, that amused me, went  'I'm a typical Englishman-I have bad teeth and collect something." :laugh:

The Apollos are a Quantum leap from the Celestrons. Pun probably intended!

Heck, if my 8x42 bins can kick the Celestron's behind with ease, I expect great things from the Helios which are properly baffled, have better prisms, full 70mm diameter, better coatings....

Another +1 for the Helios Apollo 15x70 HD. Regarding weight: I find the Helios easier to keep steady than the lighter BA-1 types I have had (Celestron: 1 day, sent back due to miscollimation and gunk in optics, Omegon: a year or two, travelled the world with me, then broke, just before the Helios Apollo arrived, and now a pair of recollimated TS 15x70s for the kids). The extra weight means shake is reduced. I am not alone in that observation. Leaning against something can help a lot, BTW. I often rest my arms on the roof of the car, and walk around it to view different areas of sky (ideal on campsites). Just occasionally I put them on the p-mount

Archived