Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

jason.p

Where is Lovejoy?

Found it tonight in my skywatcher 130, daughter got it in her own mercury 705. Lovely sight in both. Daughter mildly impressed with finding her first comet but quickly went off trying to find more messiers! Astro=Imp, looked the same to me, greenish blob with bright centre, but much bigger than I thought. Still, not as comet like as one I remember watching through binos back in the nineties. Was still at school so pre 1995 which rules out hale-bopp and hayakutake. Swift tuttel perhaps?

Anyways, Lovejoy is still worth hunting out!

• Like 1

It's a naked eye object tonight and I got a lovely view with my 10 x 50 bins. The tail was also visible. I got a better view with my bins than with my 200p and a 32mm EP as the wider FOV offered by the bins brings out more of the tail.

Yeah, I was surprised how big it is as well.  Small bright centre, but its glow seems to extend a huge distance.  Can't see the tail though.

Just found it  , feeling v pleased with myself  although children were underwhelmed  !

TBH all I'm seeing is the nucleus I think, and that only through bins. It is showing slightly greenish though.

Greenish in my 50-year-old Wray 9 bins and surprising large. At the moment directly below the Pleiades at a distance from them equivalent to that between Oriion's belt and Rigel. Stil high in the sky.

It is a great way to start the new year a nice bright comet, very enjoyable reading all the observing reports. well done to all!

I'm hoping to get a look at lovejoy tonight.

Will I be able to see the tail(s) through my bins or scope?

or is that only possible with a camera?

D.C

The only evidence of a tail seems to be on images.

I hope you find it, it is a fantastic object.

I was out an hour or so ago and picked it up in the bins., it seemed considerably fainter than last night but that might have been because there was a slight unnoticed cloud covering as I now have nearly 100% cloud cover.

Good luck Daz.

Thanks Alan, but as it got darker, it got more cloudier. As is usually the case.

D.C

I had a look for it tonight with the naked eye. I was in the right place but no joy. Is it ever gonna be a naked eye comet?. Think i'll have to get my 20x90 bins out.

Due to the work, spare time and weather gods I finally saw it for the first time last night. 

Green fuzzy blob in the other halfs SW 130P with 25mm eyepiece (bigger but less bright green blob with a BST12mm) but no tail seen.

Definitely been naked eye here this week. Seemed a bit fainter Fri/Sat than Sun/Mon, but if you can see M31 naked eye then you should see it.

Went out with my Dad on Friday night (16th) it was just to say visible with the naked eye and we could only see a smudge through a Megrez 90 until the clouds rolled in but we both travelled back home happy that we seen it. 

Rob.

Just been looking at it again and it's definitely naked eye now (as is M31). If anything it seems bigger and brighter and the blue colour seems more obvious. I think it looks better through the 8x42 bins. What a beautiful sight!

• Like 1

Oh to have dark skies! No chance of it being naked eye here, might have a go with the bins though.

I haven't been able to spot it, but by seeing the info here I have a good,idea where it is....Many Thanks for the info

Definitely a waste of time tonight....pure cloud on the North East coast.......bins are away til later.