sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

advice on eyepieces for 12" dob

Well, I made my first down payment on an Orion SkyLine 12" Dobsonian Reflector:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/SkyLine-12-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/113096.uts

The dob comes with a 2” 30mm Erfle  and 1.25” 9mm Plossl. Looking for some input on what I will be able to see with these and advice on what eye pieces I should invest in for deep space and planetary viewing. Like Dobson was, I'm not interested in imaging, just viewing. Looking for wide field and good eye relief with a budget of $300 / £200 per eyepiece.

Thanks in advance for input and advice.

Below your budget, that may be good or bad, but have a look at the ES 82 degree range. They seem to be around $140 from AgenaAstro, the 2" variants are $290.

The 100 degree series is above the budget.

TV Delos is another but again above budget $319, and I know that in the US the oprice seen need sales tax added on.

For $200-$300 the ES 82's seem to fit and are reportedly very good.

Equally I would be half tempted to forget it all and get the TV plossl range, may not look big and impressive but they perform. :grin: :grin:

If you want wide field and good eyerelief 68-72 degree eyepieces give you the best of both worlds. Eye relief with 82 and 100 degree eyepieces is usually tighter / shorter which seems to be the price you pay for those wider views.

Good 68-72 degree eyepieces at the top of your budget would include the Delos as mentioned by Ronin and the Pentax XW's but Explore Scientific 68's would help your money go further and are well regarded.

Others I would consider include the Vixen LVW series which are very nice Japanese made eyepieces.

For what it's worth I find the following focal lengths the most useful with my 12" F/5.3 dobsonian:

31mm

21mm

13mm

8mm

6mm

5mm

The eyepieces that are supplied with your scope, while not the best, will get you up and running. Perhaps invest in something around 13-15mm and say 7mm to expand the set a bit then have some sessions with the scope before investing in more ?

• Like 1

How about a 24mm ES 82, 10mm Delos and a 7mm Pentax XW? This would give you a great finder,cluster,filter EP and a perfect galaxy EP and a world class planetary EP. I love Agena, Eyepiecesetc and Adorama.... the Pentax was on sale for $270.00 at Adorama a while back.

Good luck and can't wait to hear what you buy! :smiley:

PS the Delos were on sale for $245.00 a while ago!

Edited by jetstream

Delos all the way. Buying second hand is a good way of keeping costs down. If someone spends that sort of cash on a new eyepiece, they tend to look after them (original box and end caps is a good indication). I would hesitate about the pentax in an f5 scope as there are reports of them being excellent on slower scopes but a bit soft in faster scopes (like yours).

The 5mm will give 300x in your scope, so won't get a huge amount of use unless you have nice stable sky.

The ES 82° get good writeups for the longer lengths. ie 30mm.

Paul

Delos all the way. Buying second hand is a good way of keeping costs down. If someone spends that sort of cash on a new eyepiece, they tend to look after them (original box and end caps is a good indication). I would hesitate about the pentax in an f5 scope as there are reports of them being excellent on slower scopes but a bit soft in faster scopes (like yours).

The 5mm will give 300x in your scope, so won't get a huge amount of use unless you have nice stable sky.

The ES 82° get good writeups for the longer lengths. ie 30mm.

Paul

The Pentax XW's 10mm and shorter are about the sharpest eyepiece I've ever owned or used Paul. Certainly sharp right across the field to F/4.8 because thats what my old OO newt was. At 14mm and above they do have a reputation for some field curvature so I'd stick to the 10mm or shorter. I have owned a Delos too (10mm) recently and it was very, very similar to the XW of that focal length in terms of optical performance ie: excellent :smiley:

I find I use my XW 5mm quite often on the Moon, Mars and Saturn. It gives 318x with my 12" dob.

The ES 82's do get good feedback. My only concern with the wider eyepieces is the eye relief which the OP mentioned as a requirement but he wasn't specific on how much.

Thanks for all the info and advice. Luckily I live near lake michigan and 30 minutes from a giant national forest; nice dark skys for sure... I have a pretty good minivan and will be working on  hand made storage/ travel cases for easier transport and set up. thanks again for the info and advice.

The Pentax XW's 10mm and shorter are about the sharpest eyepiece I've ever owned or used Paul. Certainly sharp right across the field to F/4.8 because thats what my old OO newt was. At 14mm and above they do have a reputation for some field curvature so I'd stick to the 10mm or shorter. I have owned a Delos too (10mm) recently and it was very, very similar to the XW of that focal length in terms of optical performance ie: excellent :smiley:

I find I use my XW 5mm quite often on the Moon, Mars and Saturn. It gives 318x with my 12" dob.

The ES 82's do get good feedback. My only concern with the wider eyepieces is the eye relief which the OP mentioned as a requirement but he wasn't specific on how much.

I'll happily stand corrected. I've never tried an XW. Just read a few reports on here. Although, now that I come to think about it, I can't remember any of those being first hand reports either.....

Paul