Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Session - Friday Jan. 24, 2015

L8-Nite

Greetings, and a Happy New Year to Everyone !   :hello:

The dark nights are upon us, and hopefully with a break in the weather there will be clear skies for our first observing meet of 2015.

Please check the " Schedule: " thread for details & location.

Clear skies to us all !   

Wait for it - daughters birthday weekend and I'm on the road to Oxford again - If I get a chance mid week I'll post on the board myself to see if anyone fancies a night out - this is a lonely hobby at the best of times but this year has been ridiculous.

right now, it's looking clear only after midnight on Friday night. If that keeps up, I'll make the trip. Anyone else?

I'm planning on it, hope to see you there.   At the moment FLO's weather site predicts clear conditions until about 2:00 am with a 4 mph wind factor.

It would be a good idea to have a pair of shoe grips, as black ice has been an issue at some spots on the parking lot.

Edit: And going by the Metcheck Astronomy forecast, it looks bleak. :dontknow:

I just spent a fab two and a half hours at the Blaenavon site with my new TAL 100R. Best views of Jupiter I've had!

There's still ice everywhere, so do be careful, but the light on the mast building was off, thank goodness. Zero wind, lovely conditions. Not terribly dark - estimate mag 6 skies.

Was disturbed a couple of times by other cars arriving briefly at the carpark, but I lit up the scope with my red headlamp and they generally scarpered.

I am looking forward to this evening FLO predictions are looking good I wont be up there till about 7.30pm here's a heads up Asda is doing bar stool rises upto 950cm ideal for the dob user for me its perfect!! :cool:  £20

my 4 forecasting sites (Cloudy Outside, Metcheck, Meteoblue and BBC) all currently suggest cloud cover until midnight.

current conditions at abergavenny (6 miles from the site) at 2pm: 100% cloud cover with a medium breeze.

Thanks for posting the true local conditions ! 

The predicted weather has changed substantially from what looked to be favourable just a couple of hours ago. The consensus of several forecasts agree with Mister_Wavey that there will be over 80% cloud cover until past midnight, and along with a steady 12 mile per hour wind which by experience we know can be twice as much at the site; a light intermittent rain is also predicted.  At the moment it looks like there "could" be a clear spell from about 1:00 am - 3:00 am, but still with the issue of wind.

All considered, along with ice being present, it's a NO - GO for tonight's meet.  :sad:

For those who would have had to travel far, hopefully conditions will be better in your neck of the woods. 

Conditions may improve, so check back tomorrow afternoon to see if our alternate Saturday night meet is a go; fingers crossed ! ! !

Edit: Sorry Gaz, didn't see your post.  Presently the forecast looks good, but as you know , it doesn't mean anything until the last minute.

I'll post another thread for tomorrow night's possible meet.

Archived