SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrade or invest in new?

jm_rim

Hi

My current setup is a SW 150pds on an EQ5, and is mainly used for astrophotography. I’m thinking of getting the HEQ-5 Pro Synscan upgrade kit. However, the kit is a third of the price SW EQ6-pro. Would you recommend, me waiting until I can afford the EQ6?

Once, when I can afford, I would like to get a 10-12” newt astrograph or 130-150mm refractor. So it a new mount should be able to support the future setup.  

In imaging the mount is crucial - I would say that with bigger newts you really would benefit from the largest mount possible. You are much more future proofed if you save up and get an EQ6 as well - Who knows what you fancy doing around the corner? :D

Don't get me wrong, the HEQ5 is a superb little mount, but I think it would probably prefer a smaller scope to give you hassle free imaging.

Archived