Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which camera is best?

Philip Benson

For lunar/solar and planetary imaging I have been using a DMK 21AU618. Just recently I have bought a DMK 51AU02 as well with the larger chip size. 

Given that I can crop down the DMK51 to 640x480 using software I am just wondering whether there is any advantage for me in keeping the 618 for the faster framerate.  

I would think keeping the 618 at hand would have it's advantages at times, as you mentioned the faster frame rate can make a bit of difference especially for planetary imaging which is affected quite a lot by the seeing so a faster frame rate will stand more chance of giving you more frames captured during the brief moments of good seeing.

At least that is how I would look at things.

Appreciate that.  I was a little unsure because some articles I have read about planetary imaging expressly seem to give preference to the slower frame rates of between 12-25fps.  But then as you say the faster exposures should allow me to capture more of those fleeting moments of good seeing.

Archived