sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Setting Polaris to Transit Point

Afternoon,

I'm trying to do as the title suggests, but I'm stuck on getting a time for transits at my location.

I have downloaded Polar finder, I know my Lat and Long, but where do I put in my location.
I can see some dials which change the Long box, does this represent my Longitude?

E.g say my Longitude is 1.3534810 what are the 3 figures that go into PolarFinder? 13:53:48? 

Thanks

I will, but my shed is not yet ready for EQMod so at this point I'm going to go out there with just the hand controller thing.

I just cant find any decent instructions on the PolarFinder and there is only the Long box to populate!

Afternoon,

I'm trying to do as the title suggests, but I'm stuck on getting a time for transits at my location.

I have downloaded Polar finder, I know my Lat and Long, but where do I put in my location.

I can see some dials which change the Long box, does this represent my Longitude?

E.g say my Longitude is 1.3534810 what are the 3 figures that go into PolarFinder? 13:53:48? 

Thanks

Hi Tony,

You don't say which flavour of polarfinder you have downloaded, most folks use this one: -

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

yours may be a different one but...

You first need to convert from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes and seconds.

You need to enter 1 deg 21minutes 12 seconds E...  so enter : -

01:21:12: E

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Edited by Lonestar70
  • Like 2

Hi Tony,

You don't say which flavour of polarfinder you have downloaded, most folks use this one: -

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

yours may be a different one but...

You first need to convert from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes and seconds.

You need to enter 1 deg 21minutes 12 seconds E...  so enter : -

01:21:12: E

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Thanks Sandy that does help!

I am using Polar Finder from here http://www.polarfinder.com/

I have entered the Long value in both applications and they don't seem to say the same thing.

In the application you use I have set it to one clock, entered my Longitude and it shows me a telescope view with the current time and date.

I am not really sure how to tell the date and time to use as a transit?

Thanks,

Tony

The Polar finder I downloaded looks nothing like that one and it won't let me input my location.

And it's transparent which is really annoying and you cant reposition the window.

Dave

post-21198-0-24964900-1420812296.jpg

Edited by Davey-T

Oops! I use Jason Dale's one, that Sandy gave a link to. I find it excellent. For your mount's polarscope, you need to set Jason's app to that inverted view. I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember what you need to do. What I do remember is it's easy to find.

Also, if you have a smartphone, download PolarAlign. You need to use decimals in this app. I use both and they're very helpful.

Alexxx

Hi Alexxx,

I have a smart phone app (not on iOS), but it also shows me a view like I'm looking down a polar scope and not a date/time?

I think I need to get a special date and time from an application and then turn my Date Circle and Time Circle things to it?

The Polar finder I downloaded looks nothing like that one and it won't let me input my location.

And it's transparent which is really annoying and you cant reposition the window.

Dave

attachicon.gifPolar-Finder.jpg

It's a Rubbish design for sure.

You turn the dials under the long box which is fiddly as hell.

Even when I have the Longitude in I'm not sure what to do with Pre.Peak or Next Peak.

Hi Tony,

You don't really need to know the actual Transit time on any particular day.

Just enter the time you are viewing at and then rotate your mount in RA until the small circle for Polaris in your polarscope is at the time indicated in the polarfinder programme.

Then adjust your ALT/ AZ bolts on the mount to place polaris in the small circle.

Am I correct in thinking you are perhaps trying to set up the clock dials on your polarscope? as per the manual.

If so then I would not worry about them... nobody uses them.

Once you move to EQMOD then you can use the polar setting function on that... it's much easier.

best regards.

EDIT: - as Alexx stated for Jason's polarfinder you need to set it to the view though a telescope (which is inverted) there is a tick box for this.

Edited by Lonestar70

Another thing you could try is, when you're setting up your handset, towards the end it gives Polaris's hour angle. That is, its position on the outer ring like a clock. So if the handset says POLARIS HA=7:35 then you position it on the ring in that position.

Correct me if I'm wrong, all!

With PolarFinder I don't bother getting Polaris into the little circle. Just as long as it's positioned at its hour angle correctly on its orbit circle.

Edited by Astrosurf

Oops! I use Jason Dale's one, that Sandy gave a link to. I find it excellent. For your mount's polarscope, you need to set Jason's app to that inverted view. I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember what you need to do. What I do remember is it's easy to find.

I downloaded from the Jason Dale link but got the one above which is pretty useless.

Dave

It's a Rubbish design for sure.

You turn the dials under the long box which is fiddly as hell.

Even when I have the Longitude in I'm not sure what to do with Pre.Peak or Next Peak.

It won't let me input my location (0.1780 E) as soon as I get anywhere near it flips to west.

Dave

Dave

attachicon.gifPolar-Finder.jpg

This one has bug and the rotating wheels are not very responsive and once shut down it does not remember the location so it has to be input again. It is visually attractive though.

A.G

This one has bug and the rotating wheels are not very responsive and once shut down it does not remember the location so it has to be input again. It is visually attractive though.

A.G

Not if it's transparent and you can see desktop icons through it, you can't see Polaris position for icons  :grin:

Dave

Hi Davey,

ODD I just downloaded a fresh copy from the Jason Dale link I gave and it works perfectly.

You need to click on the 'Download Now' button in the centre... just above the video.

Then extract (unzip it) to its's own directory and run the EXE file from there.

If you Right click on the .EXE file you can place a shortcut on to your Desktop for next use.

Tony,

I have just run this programme and from my location (West of Scotland) the next Lunar Transit is at 19:35 hrs today... it will be a couple of minutes or so different where you are.

You can enter any time you wish by clicking on the top left icon... de-select 'Use PC time' and enter any time you choose.

You can set the time difference between each iteration in the Boxes above the time entry.

Hope this helps everyone.

Best regards.

Afternoon,

Thanks

You have an HEQ5 pro. When you set the handset after inputting location, time, daylight saving hours etc the handset will report the position of the Polaris in first prompt ( forget the second prompt " Polaris hour Angle " ). That is where Polaris is supposed to be placed on the outer circle of your polar scope. You do this by first levelling the mount and placing Polaris in the centre and provided that your polar scope is correctly aligned to the mount ( quite often it is not from the factory ) then use the altitude and azimuth bolts to place the Polaris at the correct position on the circle. This can be done while the mount is in home position, weights down-scope up ( need to turn the DEC to see thru the hole ) and should be good enough for observing and quick imaging runs but not long exposure DSO imaging. You do not need to bother with the transit of Polaris and all this Mumble Jumble with a Go-To mount nor Setting Circles for days, months and all that . It is good to know how objects were used to be found manually  before computers using setting circles but you can learn all that during the nice cloudy UK nights. For imaging the PA has to be much more accurate and either the handset polar align routine or other methods can help fine tune the PA alignment. I would also advise you to learn to use the handset properly first for alignment and target acquisition  before migrating to EQMOD, Astrotortilla and all that as even though these are quite useful at times ( finding very faint DSOs that are not in the handset library for example) they also bring their own set of complications and unknowns. The more software you load up the more chance of conflicts and complications.

Hope that you find this useful.

A.G

PS: You can get your co ordinates from Google maps amongst many other sites. My house is even marked in one US site ( the mind boggles ) or from a iphone.

Edited by lensman57
  • Like 1

Ok ok, here is where I sound stupid (often happens at some point in a thread I start)

I am following AstroBaby's Guide to setting up my mount. I want an accurate Alignment as I am starting, well trying to start, Astrophotography. 

I have completed part 1 (Aligned the Reticule), but part 2 (Setting the scales)  gets me confused as it is telling me to do this stuff before going outside. I'm OK with this as it's cold out there, but I just don't get this 'Setting the Scales' business!?