Hello!

Quill

Hi all,

Just saying hello. I recieved a Celestron Astromaster 114EQ for Christmas, so have been making a few forays into the world of amateur astronomy. I've found the Stargazers Lounge to be a really useful resource over the last couple of weeks, so thought it might be good to come here and say thanks.

I wanted to share my joy at seeing some detail and colour on Jupiter last night as well. It was amazing! I had previously been using the stock 20mm and 10mm lenses that came with the scope, and made good progess viewing stars and the Moon. But I went ahead and bought the Celestron's Astromaster accessory kit, which includes a 6mm Plossl and 15mm Kellner and the results were fantastic! I used the 2x power lens with the Kellner and spent about an hour on Jupiter last night, and it was by far the most fantastic experience I've had yet. It's so satisfying seeing that from your own back garden!

Hi Quill and welcome to SGL, it is nice to know you are enjoying your new scope. The stock lenses that are kit issued, are adequate to get started with, but, upgrading from these produce better results. As you progress and your experience grows, you will find that some focal lengths you use quite often, one in particular will be your favourite. It is at this time, like many others before you, look to invest in individual quality optics, which should extend the clarity of you observations even further. Often voiced by Astronomers, many Moons down the line, that the only thing left of their lens kit, is the case, enjoy the hobby :)

Heya Quill and welcome from me located in Norway. :smiley: .

Always nice to hear about successful first light experiences.

Also very interesting and positive to hear how delighted you where with the eyepieces you bought.

Keep on using them for a long time, as you said : it gave you fantastic results and a fantastic experience, thats what we all want really.

Regards

Rune

PS   You must check out Saturn, observable before dawn.

Saturn is next on my hitlist. May try for that over the weekend.

There's an observatory fairly close to me, and I was thinking of going there and having a look through their scopes, but I feel that may be "spoiling" myself somehow. I really like the sense of achievement in finding something and seeing it with my minimalist kit.

Archived