SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro Fest

Radders

Don't be afraid of The Underground Paul, it really isn't the abode of Hades  :evil:  :evil:  :grin: . I use it every day to get to work. 

Seriously it is by far the best way of getting around London if your origin and destination are anywhere near a station, and as you say you're coming by train I'm guessing you'll end up at one of the mainline stations, which will have underground platforms. The Astrofest venue is about a 5 min walk from Kensington High Street on the District and Circle lines. Buses could also get you there but I'm not as familiar with the routes, and they can / will take longer than the Tube.

Real Black Cabs in London will get you there, none better, but will cost, especially if you get stuck in traffic which is very likely.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* I have the misfortune of living outside the M25 so regard the London Undergaround system with the deepest suspicion. And, I seem totally inept at guessing where the big red things are heading. Anyway, my wife informs me that taxis are public transport as "anyone can take one...". I'm a bit scared that she actually believes that.

You'll be fine - Reading has a 20-30 minute journey direct.. then it's all underground.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Often, in London, we overlook the walking option. It is a great and diverse city that you miss seeing if you spend your life on the underground. Granted, for getting anywhere quickly, underground is the way to go. But, if I am on a nice day out, I'll walk or treat myself to a taxi.

I used to commute into Paddington and walk across Hyde Park and Green Park to St James Square most mornings. An excellent start to the day!!

Or, for the brave, take a Boris bike.....

Paul

So...

I'm planning on being there from about 12 o/c (Earlier if I can get myself into gear) on Saturday. Probably I'll have lunch there around 1 o/c.

Who else is likely to be around?

I'll be the middle-aged balding bloke with glasses and the threadbare remains of a pony-tail.

Strangely, central London has these slightly scary machine that run on rails in tunnels under the streets, called 'The Tube' or sometimes 'Th8mph are definie Underground'.  I know!  They make travel around the area very easy indeed.  For those of you who think that underground is for moles, they also have big red buses - like cars, only much, much bigger!  With room for 70+ people inside, someone who does the driving for you and you don't have to worry about parking it - same as the 'Underground' trains.

This can be a little disconcerting for those out of town, but it is considered the 'norm' within the M25 area.  There is a tendency to stop and stare, sometimes open mouthed, in disbelief at this remarkable machines.  They really are a wonder of the modern, mechanical age.  Local people will smile fondly at you and ruffle your hair in a gentle manner if you find yourself caught out by these new fangled devices!  And don't believe the nay-sayers who will suggest that you will suffocate at speeds over 8 miles an hour.  It is completely untrue!

(with a little bit of tongue in cheek!) :grin:

Sir I beg to differ speeds over 8mph are certainly injurious to health. Why only recently I was hospitalised whilst only travelling at 9mph in a tightly bound polythene sack and again whilst stationary in a locked fridge freezer it is quite possible I would have died  had the fridge been moving.

I'll be the middle-aged balding bloke with glasses and the threadbare remains of a pony-tail.

You just described 50% of the attendees at Astrofest!

The other half don't have the remains of the pony tail!

So....no female astronomers go to Astrofest then? :p

Quite right I am in error. I will do a better estimate after my visit. However, I suspect it will be a few percent.

Regards Andrew

Wasn't a dig Andrew, no need to apologise :)

Sadly, this wonderful interest of ours, in common with many others, is perceived as predominantly a male 'thing' & I was just gently making that point (hence the tongue in cheek - er, I hope I understand the correct meaning of that smiley.....I'm still stuck at what some, a lot, of them mean!)

Enjoy the AstroFest - hopefully I'll be able to go next year, sigh...

Steve

Can't make today unfortunately. I wanted to catch up with MA to talk Mesu, but even if I left sharp on the dot I still couldn't be there before 5.o/c, so not worth it.

Will try to make 11.30 tomorrow.

Back too, also exhausted, mentally and physically. Remind me to take my own grub next time, or stock up on cash. Didn't realise that the caff didn't take cards, only had just enough for my roll. D'oh!

Managed to talk to a good few of the dealers I intended to, and got some of the info I was after.

I went for the saturday morning conference session which was very interesting. However I couldn't stop feeling that half hour per speaker seems a bit short considering the subject matter that the speakers have to get across. Maybe having three speakers with 40 minutes might be a bit more better for them. It is a shame that it does get packed. I didn't have anything in particular to buy but being able to browse the stalls for items of interest becomes a bit of an ordeal. I did however come away with two eclipse viewers for the kids to use on the upcoming eclipse in March. £1 each from the BAA stall, bargain! So in the end I went to Astrofest and only spent £2!

Archived