Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which DSLR

chris_suffolk

Hoping to pick up a SW 200P shortly.

Been looking at Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D, 1100D DSLR cameras.

Can anybody advise which would be best (or indeed another model entirely) - need to match pixel size to FL (1000mm) I think, but not sure how to do the calulations

Thanks

Chris

I think my preference would be for the 450D or 1100D because they're pretty good in terms of noise.  Taking the long view, the 1100D would probably be a better bet these days as Canon appear to be slowly dropping support for the older DIGIC processors from their driver packages.

James

Hi Chris, this little bit of software is great for matching cameras to telescopes. You can check out the field of view on objects with different camera scope setups, and it will also tell you the pixel scale. Its generally accepted that its a waste of time going below 1 arc second with UK skies, and you should be ok with anything upto about 4 arc seconds. This is one factor t consider for any DLSR or CCD but also signal to noise is important in which case the best ones I've personally tried are the 1100D and the 500D.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

I've just put in the figures for a 200p and Canon 1100D and it gives 1.07 arc seconds per pixel ("/pixel) which would be perfect! :)

The 500D gives .97 "/pixel so that would work well from a pixel scale point of view also.

Basically from a pixel scale point of view its probably best not to go too high with the megapixels on the camera. From playing around with 12Dstring I would say 15 megapixels. Any higher then you start to lose sensitivity through over sampling. I read that over sampled images can look soft just like under sampled images.

I think the 500D feels a bit posher, really well made, but the 1100D is very light with great battery life.

I used to like looking at these comparisons :)

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon_EOS_500D 

While i would recommend a Canon DSLR you want one with a swivel LCD Screen, mounting one on a Newt means it won't always be in a convenient position, i use a 600D on a 250P-DS so i have had some practice, you will also require a Coma Corrector, i have a Baader MKIII and it works well.....

DSC_0189.jpg

This might be a useful read: http://dslrmodifications.com/T4iReview/T4iReview.html

Not particularly for the 650D review, but for the camera comparisons further down the page.

James

Very interesting read James, I think I must have got a good 500D by the looks of it. The 600D looks very good with low noise and swivel screen, might be worth oversampling a smidge for. The 1100D's and 450D's stand up well considering there price.

Hoping to pick up a SW 200P shortly.

Been looking at Canon 450D, 500D, 1000D, 1100D DSLR cameras.

Can anybody advise which would be best (or indeed another model entirely) - need to match pixel size to FL (1000mm) I think, but not sure how to do the calulations

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

At the point of repeating myself so many times but pixel matching a camera to a scope should be the last thing on your mind. With the average UK seeing,  imaging at even 2arcsec/pixel is at times an overkill and unless you wish to solely concentrate on planetary imaging where more resolution is desirable then all the DSLRs you have listed will be a good match to your scope . You have already mentioned a very important point in your OP. Should you go for an older camera or a newer one. My answer is to go for something not older than an 1100d and preferably a 600d. The other point to consider is what kind of mod do you want? A full spectrum, a Baader mod ? 500d is  very noisy but if that is what you have then go for it.

Whether a camera has a tilting display or not is not important in AP as sooner or later you have to image using a laptop with an AP capture software, APT or BY-EOS. The laptop screen will be much more usable than a 3" led display.

A.G

Hi Chris,

At the point of repeating myself so many times but pixel matching a camera to a scope should be the last thing on your mind. With the average UK seeing,  imaging at even 2arcsec/pixel is at times an overkill and unless you wish to solely concentrate on planetary imaging where more resolution is desirable then all the DSLRs you have listed will be a good match to your scope . You have already mentioned a very important point in your OP. Should you go for an older camera or a newer one. My answer is to go for something not older than an 1100d and preferably a 600d. The other point to consider is what kind of mod do you want? A full spectrum, a Baader mod ? 500d is  very noisy but if that is what you have then go for it.

Whether a camera has a tilting display or not is not important in AP as sooner or later you have to image using a laptop with an AP capture software, APT or BY-EOS. The laptop screen will be much more usable than a 3" led display.

A.G

Agreed on the pixel matching.

I don't use the laptop to capture after the 60Da went kaput last year.

Have got used to just using the swivelly screen for intial focus and then occasionally for checking subs.

I use an intervalometer for all timing and don't feel the need to change.

If it was'nt for the doubt about the cam going kaput again I would use a laptop but just don't want to send the

60Da in again as the guarantee is now up.

If you have a smart phone, there are apps out there that will enable you to see Live View on the phone, which negates the need for a swivel screen. (if you have a smart phone, that is.  :) )

I'd be looking at the camera performance, in terms of noise issues at certain ISOs.

I find the apps useful for fine manual focusing.

Agreed on the pixel matching.

I don't use the laptop to capture after the 60Da went kaput last year.

Have got used to just using the swivelly screen for intial focus and then occasionally for checking subs.

I use an intervalometer for all timing and don't feel the need to change.

If it was'nt for the doubt about the cam going kaput again I would use a laptop but just don't want to send the

60Da in again as the guarantee is now up.

I remember reading about your problems with the 60Da last year, hope that the camera is now behaving. Once bitten twice shy as they say.

A.G

I remember reading about your problems with the 60Da last year, hope that the camera is now behaving. Once bitten twice shy as they say.

A.G

Thats right and it's doing well when the clouds allow.

I'm just chicken. :grin:

It would most likely be ok but I have got into a routine with it and quite happy for now.

I'm fine with the laptop just doing the tracking/guiding for now.

The good thing is there are various ways of achieving the end result, thankfully.

Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful. Right now it's on hold as not sure that the scope/mount  I was going to buy is happening, so on the look out again for something a bit closer to me or even have to buy new. Will keep searching

Sorry to hear that Chris. Something will crop up second hand, or if you're considering new, everyone loves a good old 'Which telescope and mount should I buy thread' ;)

Thanks Chris, just can't really justify a top end secondhand price with the associated time and cost of a 6 hour round trip to pick it up. Especially as there could be somethng wrong with it and then it's 6 hours and costs for nothing. Will keep looking.

If anybody knows of an HEQ5 with SW 200 PDS (or similar) within a couple of hours drive of Ipswich.......  (or maybe even an MN190 and NEQ6!!)

Anyway, thanks everybody, at least I have a better idea what to go for when I do get a better scope

Archived