Hi all

Manny R

Hi all, 

Really interested in getting into astrophotography, thought this would be a great place to start to learn and get some advice. 

Equipment I have is- :embarrassed:

Nikon D3200 

Helios telescope 114m 900mm (my son's) with clock drive.

Interested in photographing Planets, Nebulae, Galaxy's. I appreciate I will need some kit so looking forward to having a read through some threads. Any pointers and tips would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Manny

Hi Manny and welcome to he forum. One good starting place is getting hold of Steve Richard's, "Making Every Photon Count" which is a comprehensive guide on how to get started in astrophotography. It's not difficult but there is an initial steep learning curve. There are three types of imaging; Widefield (picture of the night sky with a terrestrial landmark referencing the shot), Planetary (picture of the planets/moon using typically a video camera where the best 'frames' help construct a composite final image) and lastly Deep Sky (long exposures of faint galaxies and nebulae requiring filters and a very accurate mount). The book explains in a lot more detail but the first two I have described are relatively inexpensive to get up and running. Deep Sky will require in my opinion a minimum of the HEQ5 for accuracy and reliability and that's before deciding on an appropriate scope. The book is modestly priced but it might well save you money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit. There is a an imaging section that might prove useful to your research, particularly if you take a look at the type and level of equipment that everyone seems to be using.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Manny and welcome to SGL - My first though as an imager is that there is no kit that will do it all - You certainly need to consider either planetary or DSO's if you only want to run one rig. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Archived