SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece fantasy league

rowan46

Over the years I have been reading sgl I have noticed a sort of league table  developing over eyepieceas I thought for a bit of fun I would try and write down some of the tables and then sit back and let you argue so here goes

Division 1

ziess othoscopics

televue Ethos

leica 8.9 -17.8 zoom

pentax xw

televue delos

televue  nagler

televue panoptic

televiue radian

vixen lvw

pentax xl

Televue radian

pentax xlw

league 2

takahashi ler

televue plossl

explore scientific 82

meade 5000 uwa

maxvision uwa

maxvision swa

explore scientific 68

meade 5000 swa

bst starguider

celestron x-cel

league 3

stock eyepieces

I thik this is all the eyepieces I have looked through  and not all of them by any means do I have any extensive experience of as some have been a quick look through at a star party eg saturn through a zeiss orthoscopic is a view that will stay with me until I forget it (see senior moments)

Anyway have fun feel free to argue but play nicely.

Strange that is seems I am, but big apertures and expensuve eyepiece just do not "do" anything for me.

I like my 90mm Megrez and BST Explorers.

Am I going to change for anything bigger and "better"? Not a chance.

I do not want or care about a 16" scope or Ethos, Naglers, Delos or Zeiss. If I went to a star party with a complete set of Ethos and a set of BST's I would actually use the BST's by far the most.

Strange that is seems I am, but big apertures and expensuve eyepiece just do not "do" anything for me.

I like my 90mm Megrez and BST Explorers.

Am I going to change for anything bigger and "better"? Not a chance.

I do not want or care about a 16" scope or Ethos, Naglers, Delos or Zeiss. If I went to a star party with a complete set of Ethos and a set of BST's I would actually use the BST's by far the most.

We all have different criteria for choosing eyepieces and cost  is as valid a reason  as any  bst give a very good  cost performance ratio  and no doubt if it was the only reason to choose an eyepiece would be in the first  division. If you asked me the best eyepieces without breaking the bank it would be maxvision swa for long focal lengths and  bst for short  but even to my eyes there is a step up in quality for televue and pentax

Which division would Meade 4000 series be in or have they been relegated out of the league?   Agree with Ethos, Delos & Pentax XW being in first league as they are good!

Peter

No experience of meade 4000 I hoped that people would fill in the blanks theres an awful lot I havent tried

Fun, yes but only 3 divisions? where is non league?

I only have two but I would say TV Plossl only just above stock eyepieces, never in a million years. What about BGO ortho's?

Alan.

this is in the nature of a discussion put your facourite eyepieces in whatever division you like and ttell us why you never know something usable may even come out of this by the way I am pretty sure i have never looked though any ortho but the zeiss so they could all be first division for all i know

It's not easy to split them up this way because people put different priorities on things like transmission, sharpness, field correction, aFOV, colour rendition, comfort etc. I am sure with enough people, they would all be at the top :)

It's not easy to split them up this way because people put different priorities on things like transmission, sharpness, field correction, aFOV, colour rendition, comfort etc. I am sure with enough people, they would all be at the top :)

bet the stock eyepieces wouldn't :smiley: in truth you are right  but  I think there are general agreements on which league things belong to. the actual positions in the league may differ I for example prefer wide angle to any other eyepiece so have perhaps favoured these but general opinion has pushed ethos above my preferred delos or pentax xw and the zeiss is there because of its agreed optical excellence but without a driven scope ortho's are not great to use not to mention eye relief. You never know there may be more agreement than we realise

Like all leagues it all comes down to money, but sometimes you can pay a lot,

but you don't receive the expectations you paid for, for me what ever league you

support, if you are happy with it, support it, whether it be sport or eyepieces, a  

league is there for everyone to choose, you win some and you loose some, it all

comes down to personal choice.

Archived