sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

CCD Camera Advice

Chris81

Good day all

I have been using my DSLR for some time now when taking images via the telescope but it is not ideal really and I am keen to move on to the next step. I have been looking at the Imaging Source CCD Camera model: DMK 21AU0.4 AS Mono Camera as it is within budget.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about how you actually use one of these cameras? it is as simple as attaching the DSLR to the telescope? do I absolutely need a guide scope? I have not been using one for the DSLR images. it is on my wish list mind.

Finally, is it a suitable imaging camera for Galaxies, Stars and Nebulae? that is my main target.

Thanks in advance! 

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you plan to image DSOs, then the DMK 21AU0.4 AS Mono Camera is not for you. The DMK 21AU0.4 AS Mono is a high frame rate camera that is best suited to planetary or solar imaging. For DSOs you need to take long exposures and for that you will need a guide scope and therefore also a guide camera.

There will endless replies as to what DSO imaging camera you should or shouldn't go for. A lot will come down to the telescope you plan to use it with, the size of the camera sensor and ultimately how deep your pockets are.

The mount is a very large part of DSO imaging.

For a guide scope you could use a finder/guider (keeps weight down) using a QHY5 camera.

Have a bit of a search in the imaging equipment threads.

Ian

It's a planetary "webcam" with only 640x480 pixels and no cooling. It's made for planets not deepsky.

You could buy it tho for planets and use it as a guidecam with your dslr. What kind of dslr you got?

If you get that cam you have a nice one for planets and you can guide your scope with it (with dslr attached) for deepsky. With PHD it's no problem to guide with that cam.

But I would not recommend using this camera for DS...

Thank you that's good advice and appreciated. I'll do my research and maybe invest in a larger mount firstly. I want to do it properly after all and I know for a fact my mount only just copes with a camera attached to the telescope as it is.

I agree with DaveS, I think the best advice anyone could give you at this stage is to read this book :)

Quite so. All sorts of things in imaging are counter intuitive to the point of seeming absurd. You can believe this book entirely.

Olly