Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rupes Recta

redneon

Would tonight be a good time to view it (clouds willing)? I seem to remember reading that it's best viewed on the 8th or 9th but I can't find where I read that. It's been on my target list for a while so I was hoping to go out and view it (and maybe photograph it) tonight...

I would argue anytime is a good time to view the moon ;) but I think the best time to view Rupes Recta coincides with the Straight Wall which is at first quarter or the day after (Jan 27th or 28th). Alternatively viewing on the last quarter (Jan 13th) again when the terminator is nearby.

The straight wall is black (caused by shadows) at first quarter and white (facing the sun) at last quarter.

I thought Rupes Recta was the straight wall?

It is, for some reason I thought you were referring to Mare Nubium. Call that a middle-aged moment. :D

At the same time move up to Mare Imbrium and look at Pico Mons. ;)

You know the conditions are good when they allow enough magnification to see that the straight wall is not so straight !

I love looking at the nearby crater Birt with Birt A embedded in it's flanks and Rima Birt with it's "cobra head" also running close by. Great area of the Moon :smiley:

Archived