SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just starting out

John2503

I have a celestron nexstar 130slt and have read that a good saturating point is to learn about the sky prior to getting frustrated in garden

I have just also purchased Celestron Upclose G2 Porro Bino 20X50 Box. Trying to watch my budgets at moment

Are these binoculars ok as a starting point prior to jumping onto the telescope

They are not to heavy

No heavier than a dslr

Just waiting on a clear night to try them out

Just not sure if got the right ones for the job

They are only for early learning of the night sky

So hoping they will do

Download the FREE software program, Stellarium. An excellent program to help you plan and discover the skies above you. 

As for binoculars, I much prefer Low powered, wide angle optics. This at present is supplied by my Helios NatureSport's. I also own 7x50s and 15x70s. The 15x70s can't compete with my telescope, so I no longer I like to use them for astronomy, favouring them for daylight terrestrial use.

They are not to heavy

No heavier than a dslr

Just waiting on a clear night to try them out

Just not sure if got the right ones for the job

They are only for early learning of the night sky

So hoping they will do

They are not heavy but you will start to get tired very soon holding them up for more than a few minutes . You either have to mount them on a mount or a tripod with a suitable bracket. At 20X mag slightest movement of the of your arms will cause a blurry image and you won't enjoy viewing thru them. For looking at the targets near the zenith it is best to be lying down and looking up otherwise severe neck ache will result. Enjoy the new Binos, they are a good way of learning the sky but I have to agree with one of the previous comments that something with a bit less magnification might have been easier to hand hold and scan the sky with.

Regards,

A.G

Archived