Hi guys and gals! New member reporting in.

tfrankland

Hi all.

Just getting back into Astronomy and stargazing again after a 40 year gap - enthusiast in my 20s, then work got in the way of most things I enjoyed. But now retired and have caught the bug again.

Looking forward to listening in and learning and hopefully, in a while, contributing.

.....Tony

Thanks Scott and the rest of you, looks like a friendly group.

Scott, I haven't got my original kit other than a few eyepieces. It was a do it yourself 8" Newtonian reflector built in a concrete and asbestos (!) sewage pipe and a tripod built from 4"x4" timbers. I had just started work at Rolls-Royce in Derby and had no money. But it lasted me about 6 years before being blown over and smashed.

At the moment I'm just re-learning the night sky with a pair of binoculars, but with the intention of getting a scope later in the year.

I'm off to Argyll on holiday in a few weeks (Loch Awe) and the cabin I'm staying in is well away from light pollution so I have hired a telescope for the duration of the trip. It's a 10" Skywtacher Dobsonian from Dark Sky Telescope Hire, that'll give me a feel for (not too expensive) modern  'scopes. No idea yet what I might plump for when I do buy.

.....Tony

Thanks Scott and the rest of you, looks like a friendly group.

Scott, I haven't got my original kit other than a few eyepieces. It was a do it yourself 8" Newtonian reflector built in a concrete and asbestos (!) sewage pipe and a tripod built from 4"x4" timbers. I had just started work at Rolls-Royce in Derby and had no money. But it lasted me about 6 years before being blown over and smashed.

At the moment I'm just re-learning the night sky with a pair of binoculars, but with the intention of getting a scope later in the year.

I'm off to Argyll on holiday in a few weeks (Loch Awe) and the cabin I'm staying in is well away from light pollution so I have hired a telescope for the duration of the trip. It's a 10" Skywtacher Dobsonian from Dark Sky Telescope Hire, that'll give me a feel for (not too expensive) modern  'scopes. No idea yet what I might plump for when I do buy.

.....Tony

A concrete and asbestos sewage pipe!!! Brilliant :laugh2:  But hey, if it works!

Archived