Another Christmas newbie - Telbert

Telbert

Evening all, I too got a telescope for Christmas a Celestron NexStar 130slt. I really know nothing but I have a few quick questions is some one can give me some short laynans answers.

1.25 lens or 2"?

What's the best way to get some pictures from it?

Thank you :0)

Hello and welcome to SGL. 1.25" eyepieces are probably your best option. These come in all different focal lengths / types / brands so your options are greater. 2" eyepieces tend to have longer focal lengths or are hybrid 1.25"/2". For imaging this can be as simple as holding your phone /compact camera up to the eyepiece and taking a picture of the moon. For lunar / planetary imaging you can use either a modified webcam or a dslr that can shot video or a dedicated imaging camera. For DSO imaging you can use a dslr. but keep the exposures shorter than 30 seconds to avoid field rotation.

Hi Telbert and welcome to SGL, you may will get a few helpful answers here in the Welcome section, but for more specific replies, you are better posting your relevant questions in the other sections, such as Beginners equipment help and advise etc, enjoy :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Research is always the key when exploring the ins and outs of astronomy and there are plenty of 'experts' on all the sections here that can guide you through it all. There's no rush as the stars aren't going anywhere but with regards to imaging, you will advance your aspirations greatly by getting yourself a cope of Steve Richard's, "Making Every Photon Count" if you want to ensure that your first picture of a black hole is not the one residing in your wallet.  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Personally I'd stick with visual stuff first, imaging is a whole different ball game that has a nasty habit of grabbing you by the clacker, shaking you hard and then emptying your bank account :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Telbert,

I'm the same as you and just started astronomy other Christmas, well worth signing up to the free course by FutureLearning: In The Night Sky: Orion.

This makes you see astronomy from a few different perspectives and is quite enjoyable to do.

I was thinking of astrophotography when I started but feel this is best left as a newbie, I'm concentrating on learning the night sky purely for personal experience, I've brought an Evostar 120 on an EQ5 mount, plus got a copy of a sky atlas and hope to get out soon and start navigating the stars.

If I continue to get the buzz the ill look to invest in upgrades and may have a dabble at astrophotography (funds permitting).

There's nothing to stop you from getting a relatively cheap camera t piece and just see what you get, but I personly feel it's best to spend time on the basics of this quite scientific hobby, before trying to get lost in technology on imagery that may only disappoint if your not careful and spoil what maybe a life changing adventure.

These are only my views and maybe eating humble pie soon but love this forum and there is so great people on here who maybe able to advise better, as like you I'm a beginner.

Good luck and hope you get clearer skies than me :-).

just another quick note that I'm not sure if it's relevant to you as you have a goto mount, there is a book called 'Turn Left At Orion' that is first class and really answers quite a few questions for he first time astronomer like ourselves, also gives great advise on navigating the sky, but if you have goto then this maybe uneccassry?

Good luck,

Julian

Hi Telbert, Welcome from another Christmas newbie. I too am a recent member, only joining in December, but have already had some good chats with the other members in the forum.

Hope you find it as useful as I have.

Archived