Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is this a fair attempt with a phone?...

Aceace321

Managed to get a few pics of the moon holding my phone up to the eyepiece and then *attempted* to edit them. I done the editing with a free app I found, Jus not sure if I've over done it. There didnt seem to be much detail at first. I'm quite happy with the outcome considering my kit is very basic. Hoping to try some other eyepieces next time :)

Anyway heres what I think was the best one...

post-28129-0-55443900-1420598590_thumb.p

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's a really good result. It looks about right as far the processing goes and even better considering how tricky it is to image through the eyepiece, well done! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good start! Afocal imaging (through the EP) is quite a nice way to begin the slippery (and expensive) route into imaging. I started that way as well, and it is a lot of fun. The brackets also apply to point and shoot cameras. They do take a lot of the guess work out of lining up the camera to the EP, so IMO are worth the money, and do extend your imaging (by allowing you to use optical zoom functions to increase magnification of the subject). I warn you though...it does become very addictive this imaging lark ;-)

Well done, you have shown what can be done with fairly basic equipment.

I keep meaning to have a try with my point and shoot camera but realise this might start me on a slippery slope.

Go on Alan....just one snap....I promise you won't get hooked....8-)

Thanks for all the feedback :)

I can already see the addiction growing lol. I tried jupiter aswell but the mount I have is just way to unstable its not bad for viewing but I will be upgrading at some point in the future, hopefully.... :)

I don't think you always tell the whole truth :p

Lol one won't hurt, but I already want to get back out and try and get some more pics at higher magnification :p sadly the clouds have settled in for the next 4-5 days at least!!

A good start! Afocal imaging (through the EP) is quite a nice way to begin the slippery (and expensive) route into imaging. I started that way as well, and it is a lot of fun. The brackets also apply to point and shoot cameras. They do take a lot of the guess work out of lining up the camera to the EP, so IMO are worth the money, and do extend your imaging (by allowing you to use optical zoom functions to increase magnification of the subject). I warn you though...it does become very addictive this imaging lark ;-)

I'll look into one of those brackets, as a cheaper alternative to buying a proper camera. Should keep me going until I can afford to upgrade my kit :)

That is really impressive. Far, far better than what my 'smart' phone can do...which renders everything into some digitised watercolour effect, because the quality is so poor...

What phone have you got?? My pics were coming out really washed out at first. I changed the settings to black and white, and turned all the contrast, exposure, iso etc down as much as poss without it looking completely black. Then took a load of pics and picked through the ones with most detail. Downloaded a good image editing app. Messed with the contrast, exposure value, brightness and sharpened.

What phone have you got?? My pics were coming out really washed out at first. I changed the settings to black and white, and turned all the contrast, exposure, iso etc down as much as poss without it looking completely black. Then took a load of pics and picked through the ones with most detail. Downloaded a good image editing app. Messed with the contrast, exposure value, brightness and sharpened.

Moto G - a great phone in many ways, except the camera is totally pants. Can't even get a decent image of anything, let alone lunar shots...  :)

S'ok though, I have a proper camera for that... 

Moto G - a great phone in many ways, except the camera is totally pants. Can't even get a decent image of anything, let alone lunar shots... :)

S'ok though, I have a proper camera for that...

Sorry I thought you ment u were only using your phone haha, doesnt come up with a post count or anything on mobile just a name. Jus gone on the full website rather than mobile....... lol

I use an iPhone and the pics come out pretty well. I do have a polarising filter on my EP though. It's instead of a moon filter and works like a pair of sunglasses. You can adjust it too to suit you. It just screws onto the end of the EP. I will try and upload the photo.

I use an iPhone and the pics come out pretty well. I do have a polarising filter on my EP though. It's instead of a moon filter and works like a pair of sunglasses. You can adjust it too to suit you. It just screws onto the end of the EP. I will try and upload the photo.

Managed it I think!!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/alistaw/32A5443C-11A7-4A8A-AFEC-83E392640B50_zpscz3bh5mp.jpg

Hopefully if you click on this link you will see the pic I took of the moon just before new year. It was done with an iPhone through a 12mm Celestron x-cel lx eye piece, with a polariser, attached to a skywatcher explorer 150p. I haven't done any post processing to it.

I hope you like it!!! It took me ages to hit the sweet spot on the EP to take the photo!!!

Plenty of detail there good job

Cheers!!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/alistaw/B47F9785-250E-4553-B04A-8F136053508B_zpszibre5jn.jpg

This is the same view but taken before I put the polariser on. It's quite obviously over exposed.

Was yours like this before you edited it? Was it edited on your phone and wif so, what app did you use?

Cheers!!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/alistaw/B47F9785-250E-4553-B04A-8F136053508B_zpszibre5jn.jpg

This is the same view but taken before I put the polariser on. It's quite obviously over exposed.

Was yours like this before you edited it? Was it edited on your phone and wif so, what app did you use?

Mine was just a white blur before I changed the camera settings couldnt really make out any detail. All editing was done with 'PicSay'. Its quite an easy app to use there are a few others that will do the same thing.

Archived