Not the last Christmas newbie I'm sure!

janieface

Hello all!

So, I've taken the leap and had a Skywatcher Heritage 130P for Christmas!

I'm so pleased with it!

But now I'm thinking I'd like a barlow for it.... do I need it?  And which should I get? (with not too much outlay as I've spent too much over Christmas!!!)

I'm so excited about my scope and want to get as much out of it as possible!

any help for this newbie would be very gratefully received!!

Thanks!

:laugh:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from a fellow newbie.  

I was advised not to get a Barlow straight away but get a couple of good quality, used eyepieces. The explanation given that there is less glass for the light to travel through and should give a brighter view with less distortion. I don't know if this is correct but would enjoy hearing other's opinions and thoughts.

Hi Janie  and welcome to sgl

Unfortunately barlows and magnification are not the be all and end all, many subjects are best viewed with less magnification.

Also weather conditions have a large effect on how well you can see especially at higher magnification, you may find you are very rarely able to use much more than your 10mm maybe an 8mm due to weather, ie humidity even though it is clear.

If you want to try one out I would recommend http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot to give you an idea but it will not be the best quality, should cost around £15.

If you do try one I would recommend a 2x or less as a 5mm in your telescope would probably be too much mag.

Hi Janie and welcome to SGL, good advice already, it will probably be worth your while to invest in a better quality eye piece or two, which go well with your scope, I am sure there are many forum members with similar scopes, who could advise on what you should up grade too. If not repost an inquiry into the Beginners equipment help and advise section, as you may not get such a good response here in the Welcome section, enjoy :)

I have this telescope too, I don't use a barlow with it.

With what you have you will be able to make out the ring on Saturn with the 10mm.

The 25mm is quite nice to use.

My most used eyepeice is the GSO 32mm as it gives 2 degrees FOV (field of view) which helps with finding stuff.

If you have not already down load Stellarium it is free software for PC/MAC.

I also have a 16mm and a 6mm but these were about 6 months and a year before getting them.

Whilst deciding why not start a loose change pot to collect up eye peice funds.

The BST star guiders are quite popular and well priced but I have not tried one, if I had to pick one to save for inititally it would be an 8mm.

Hi All!

Thanks for such a warm welcome!

Luckily I live in mid Wales, and we have lovely clear skies with little light pollution, so I'm hoping I'll have many happy hours stargazing!

@glowjet... I'll post there to see if I can get more advice - thanks!

:-)

Hi Janie and welcome to the forum. You don't need a barlow at this stage but what you will most definitely need is a collimation eyepiece tool  like this one to help you align all the optics together so that you can get the best out of your scope.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi and welcome- Barlow s can be useful but after a while I started reducing magnification with all my scopes to see more when dark adapted -contrast and resolution are optimum often and lower mags I think - just my two penny worth - anyway best of luck with your observing - best wishes Tony

Archived