Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Autumn Starparty 2015

Well said Derek.

I think myself and Ian were level pegging on the pie front but he snook a couple in on the way home!

Great camp as always and everyone made the best of it shame the wind didn't drop enough to allow us to make use of the lovely dark skies up there that did show themselves often.

Damian

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am glad that everyone has enjoyed themselves either viewing the stars or munching pies as they waited for the skies to clear.

The new MS driver for the Hitec EQDIR appears to be working well as I have not had a crash for a week now. I have bypassed the 12m active usb extension cable and the new usb hub and last nignt's test is still running with no issues so that is 18 hours of tracking and imaging darks. Now turned on the guide camera and will run for another 11 hours I hope.

Then its down to sorting out where the problem lies. I suspect it is the active USB cable :(

New moon in February is Monday 8th Feb. What dates have been reserved for the star camp?

Andy

Hi Andy,

If I have not said it before try Lindy. Their active USB cables are good. I use the 8 metre versions. You need the 8 then you can add on either more 8 or 12 metre to it up to 56 metre in total. I have tried up to 16 metre in total without problems. These are USB 2, not 3 so cannot vouch for them. They also do special versions using optical cable up to very long lengths, but are extremely expensive.

On a different note you missed a really good camp. Sorry you and your knitting demon missed the fun. I'm having to watch where I sit or get stabbed by a needle. ;)

Ian is correct in the date for February. I cannot get as I have been promised elsewhere (had my arm twisted). Leslie cannot open the site any sooner. As Ian said Mike will confirm.

Now just got to get home and get the boiler fixed, no heating or hot water, YUK.

Derek

Hope you have a safe journey back Derek. The 200mm or should that be 8" of rain didn't really materialise at Drumroamin but it certainly did on my drive home. Got particularly heavy at Crocketford and I got stuck behind a truck which created a load of spray. Rained all the way to Chorley, was still raining the next morning [emoji54]

Sent from my Fone

Well thats us home, unpacked just need to start going over all the images we took.

Like everyone else a huge thanks to Mike for organising, as always a fab time had.

The people who attend this star camp help make it, so much help and advice for us beginners of imaging. Thanks guys. We will be back in Feb, looking forward to that, have plentyvof time to put to good use all the advice we were given.

Take care Mike, Derek & Annette on your journey home

Hope all got home safely.

I'll be back in Feb if I can get the time off as I'm not back to work till Tuesday.

Will be flying the flag for the tenting brigade as usual whatever the weather. Hopefully the weather will give us a break with some crystal clear nights.

If it does we all know who's been bringing the clouds.

Damian

Hope all got home safely.I'll be back in Feb if I can get the time off as I'm not back to work till Tuesday.Will be flying the flag for the tenting brigade as usual whatever the weather. Hopefully the weather will give us a break with some crystal clear nights.If it does we all know who's been bringing the clouds.Damian

Well if it does cloud out we'll superglue the cover on yer monster Arf. Arf

Derek

Well thats us home, unpacked just need to start going over all the images we took.Like everyone else a huge thanks to Mike for organising, as always a fab time had.The people who attend this star camp help make it, so much help and advice for us beginners of imaging. Thanks guys. We will be back in Feb, looking forward to that, have plentyvof time to put to good use all the advice we were given.Take care Mike, Derek & Annette on your journey home

Glad you got back OK. Mike is just away a few minutes ago. We're off tomorrow morning.

Hope the images come out for you. See you next year.

Derek

Hope you have a safe journey back Derek. The 200mm or should that be 8" of rain didn't really materialise at Drumroamin but it certainly did on my drive home. Got particularly heavy at Crocketford and I got stuck behind a truck which created a load of spray. Rained all the way to Chorley, was still raining the next morning [emoji54]Sent from my Fone

Well at least you got home safely. Not pleasant in traffic behind spray.

All the best,

Derek

Hi All.safely back home,very windy last night but a brilliant clear sky early on pity i was to tired to get out a camera!

Thank you to all who attended this years event, i know everyone enjoyed themselves and that is a reward in itself,it`s a pity the weather put so many people off,despite the high winds and rain the skies played ball and a lot of good photo`s were taken,certain to be some put up in the next few days.

Any suggestions for next years event will be considered.

We will be running the event back to back with the Kielder star camp,so anyone travelling a long distance can make a long stay of it.

The provisional dates are  Monday 31st October through to Monday 7th November 2016  Clear skies on order.

Again a big thank you to all who attended this years event,with a huge thanks to Derek Annette Jim and Dawn for all their help and support and of course a special thank you to Lesley and and Ralph for all the hard work they do before during and after my attempts to keep things simple.  :grin:  :grin:

Already looking forward to February event.

Regards

Mike

Well as things would have it, it has been brilliantly clear nearly all night. The sky briefly clouded for an hour about eight but then cleared again within about an hour. The wind has been very light in comparison to the rest of our stay, at around maybe 14 mph down to 7 mph this morning. Of course I had put everything away as I have the long drive back home today to face. You just can't win sometimes. :) Still it was nice to see the stars again before leaving. Hopefully next year in February you will all have clear skies and light winds. Luck to you all.

Derek

Sounds about right Derek, still we had some cracking clear skies for the visit, well worth the trip, looking forward to seeing you all in Feb, just need to stack and process some of the images taken and hope the end results do the skies and all the help and info you guys gave us justice. Take care all.

Jamie

Glad to hear everyone got home safley in poor weather,i would like to thank Lesley and Ralph for another great starcamp.I think this was my best yet in the 4 years i have been attending with 5 out of 7 nights showing glorious skies...Wednesday and Friday being exceptional.

A big thankyou to Mike for organising everything and for his hospitality in the caravan.

Here's a quick process of the Rosette Nebula saved to jpeg.

1hr 20 mins of 100sec subs

Cannon 60 da

W/O GT81 triplet

Neq6 unguided

post-17547-0-16633700-1447796891_thumb.j

Kenny

Archived