Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Autumn Starparty 2015

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim,

I am thinking of leaving Watford around mid-night tonight and travelling up over night, hoping to arrive around breakfast time and get my tent up before the weather gets too bad!

The weather for Sunday afternoon in Kirkinner is not looking promising.

So hopefully you will be happy as there is some gaps in the clouds tonight (Saturday). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2645262

See you there....

Cheers

Adrian

Hi

This will be Galloway IV for us.

When we arrived for our first star party four years ago, the first night it absolutely chucked it down (in fact we left the tent open for a visit to the warm room and had to dry out the tent the next day)

Galloway is not just about the weather, it's also about the banter.

Astronomy, cloud chasing, comes with the territory !!

Look forward to seeing everyone

Regards

Neil

Hi All,well were here ,weather last night was really good if a little frustrating one minute clear next misty,here`s a quick photo ofM42.post-5667-0-66823300-1446982401_thumb.jp

It`s a little windy and wet but the site is draining well.

About to start preparing lunch,and its going to clear early evening so fingers crossed. :Envy:

Safe journey to all,

Regards

Mike

Hi All,well were here ,weather last night was really good if a little frustrating one minute clear next misty,here`s a quick photo ofM42.attachicon.gifIMG_4800.JPG

It`s a little windy and wet but the site is draining well.

About to start preparing lunch,and its going to clear early evening so fingers crossed. :Envy:

Safe journey to all,

Regards

Mike

Not too bad at all. At least you got something. I have just unpacked the car. Only bringing up the Camera and tripod. See you on Tuesday.

Derek

Hi folks,we have had a good 5 hours of decent clear skies tonight from dusk till around midnight although there was a stiff breeze blowing.

Considering the wind and rain this morning it's been a very good evening so anyone who may be put off by dodgy forcast's i'd say ignore them and come and enjoy the dark skies Galloway has to offer.

Kenny

Hi all,best two nights for ages spoilt for choices of targets so much clear sky, days a bit windy and muggy but all forgot with 4/5 hrs of imaging and viewing. Got multiple nebulas last night fantastic

Ps cheers mike&Kenny for advice and assistance true stars

See u all when u get down don't be late or ultimate miss some cracking skies

Jamie

Hi Guys,

What's it like up there today?

I'm just on my way back from Newcastle under Lyme and can honestly say it awful down here!

I have something rather special in the boot of the car though so the weather definitely isn't dampening my spirits!

keep up the good posts

Damian

I have something rather special in the boot of the car though so the weather definitely isn't dampening my spirits!

keep up the good posts

Damian

I can hazard a guess as to whats in your boot. I suspect you are on your way back from Orion Optics Uk [emoji3]

So, this terrible weather is all your fault [emoji12]

Sent from my Fone

I can hazard a guess as to whats in your boot. I suspect you are on your way back from Orion Optics Uk [emoji3]

So, this terrible weather is all your fault [emoji12]

Sent from my Fone

It could well be Ian.

I have lots to get done but needless to say I'll be booking for February!

Damian

Hi Folks,

The weather here has been better....

We have had a lot of rain and wind, I arrived on Sunday at 08:10am to high winds and rain.

Sunday night views were brilliant with those clear skies. Tonight, it is cloudy so we have a chance to test out our whiskey supplies.

I have figured out why it is called Galloway, it because Gallons of Water fall on the place!!!!

Hoping for clear skies....

Cheers

Adrian

Nice to chat to Mike earlier and the update on the site.

Weather down here is windy but dry at least.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys that are already there and that it blows itself out soon leaving crystal clear skies for all.

There may not be many clear heads to take advantage of it though.

Damian

Well it looks like the weather is improving :)
Alas my computer is still not playing ball :(   Last month at Galloway it crashed 5-6 times per day and I lost 5 nights of imaging. Thought I had cracked it last night by dumping the wireless network and going back to cat5E ......but it crashed after an hour. I do not know what has changed. It was reliable back in June when I went to Astroadventures. Nothing in the event log other than the last reboot was unexpected :mad:  It worked OK last month when I sat out in the cold at the keyboard  but it ought to work remotely. Is there a known issue with Teamviewer and Windows 7?

So tonight I am switching to the back up computer in the hope that it is okay and I can start to pack the car for a Thursday arrival.

Andy

The weather has improved vastly down in these parts.

Today I had the loaner scope dropped off and to be fair it's nearly as big as the one I'm building!

I have an appointment at the docs tomorrow so I will be heading up Thursday so I can make an early start and arrive in plenty of time to get the tent pitched!

Damian

Archived