Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Blazar

2/1/15 - Vallis Schroteri

Right last one from me for a while. This is the last one I feel is good enough to be up here. I took a small set on the 2nd Jan before I went out for the evening. I really wanted to have a crack at certain targets. The weather was not playing ball however. It was really bad seeing for most of the session, with everything boiling away (probable due to the time I chose...not that I had much say in it). Anyway's I stuck it out for a while, and out if the 20 or so avi's this one is it...This was 60 frames out of over 1500 usable. Focus was ok (not perfect).

This target at this phase also meant being really careful with the exposure setting, and in the end this avi's exposure was set at '2'! Aristarchus blazing away as usual. Anyhow I hope you like it...its not perfect, but you do get to see one of really iconic places on the surface (IMO).

Cheersgallery_27945_3180_431026.jpg

• Like 15

Lovely picture, that region has been calling to me the last few days and you have caught it well.

• Like 2

Great image and very nicely presented!

• Like 1

I like that a lot.

BTW I was observing this region at the time you imaged it and I had the best view ever of Schroter's Valley, probably because it was so well position.

I then had a look at Marius and the hills to the NW and was clouded out for the rest of the evening.

• Like 1

Another great image Blazar!

And I really appreciate your notes as to what is shown - really very helpful to a Lunar noobie like me, thanks :)

• Like 1

Cheers Jarrod, Jules Michael, Sam,  and 'Ghost' for the kind comments. Glad you liked it.

Alan: I think next time we need to synchronise watches, and plan a session, you do the write up  and I will do the images ;-) then compare notes to what I get. might be a fun evening.

Either that or we do a combined imaging run with Jarrod and everyone. Go team Luna!

• Like 1

Very nice, one of my favourite spots on the moon.  There's nothing like a lava channel to excite the mind!

Mark

• Like 1

Have to agree Mark. Thanks for the kind words.

Blue, Michael Thank you.

The equipment I usually use is me Celestron Edge800HD scope, on a Celestron AVX mount. The camera used was a ZWO120mm-s. I do use an IR PASS filter as well.

• Like 2

Great image with spot on exposure. Very nice. I never tire of looking at the Moon. I always see something new.

• Like 1

Nice image.

You can realy see the ejecta rays from the impact craters.

D.C

• Like 1

This is terrific.  I have enjoyed looking at your all your lunar images.  As well as the images themselves, I like the way you choose to present them.  Are you doing this entirely "manually" - what I mean is are you taking the image of the full disc that appears in the top left corner of your presentation?  And where are you getting that very precise information that appears - for example, the numbers for diameter and distance?

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

Cheers Steve. I take the main image of course. Usually I choose a subject that is of interest to me. Once I have a good enough image, I put it all together in Photoshop. I usually take a few notes of the lunar phase when I am imaging. that way I can obtain the relevant smaller disc image (there is a website that shows what the disc looks like at a given time and day). The information on the subjects is obtained from the virtual moon atlas (free software), then info about the moons distance etc, is obtained from the website I previously mentioned.

That is absolutely brilliant!  Excellent detail and I really like the way you have presented it!

Cheers Steve. I take the main image of course. Usually I choose a subject that is of interest to me. Once I have a good enough image, I put it all together in Photoshop. I usually take a few notes of the lunar phase when I am imaging. that way I can obtain the relevant smaller disc image (there is a website that shows what the disc looks like at a given time and day). The information on the subjects is obtained from the virtual moon atlas (free software), then info about the moons distance etc, is obtained from the website I previously mentioned.

Thanks.  Any chance of telling me the name of the website?