Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Outreach event for Eclipse at SGLX - see update info

Mark at Beaufort

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm not that I want to poke holes but how is public liability handled for public looking through SGL member's scopes at the sun? Just in the worst case scenario? Would SGL members be covered by the insurance if joe public is blinded by an accident?

In the past at Leith Hill, I've seen a large TV being used to show the solar image - possibly for this very reason..

Its a valid point Nick.    MESC have public liability insurance.  Personally, I'm covered by my STEM Ambassador affiliation, but I'm doing a H&S assessment for the elements of the event that I'm involved in too.  The first line of defence in any accident is proper risk assessment and appropriate/reasonable action, so I'm happy to make available material for everyone to do a proper assessment beforehand and note the mitigating action etc.  I think we need to make clear to schools and visitors too - so a handout on entry would be a good place to start :smile:

We are also planning a TV screen to show the BBC coverage of the total eclipse from the air above Faroa, and a couple of laptops/projectors showing live feeds from our scopes and/or other sites if it is cloudy!

Helen

Nick as Helen has stated your comments are very valid. MESC has public liability insurance - Herefordshire Astro Society has insurance cover through the Federation of Astronomical Societies. In saying that we need to check that the eclipse glasses are free from any defects and that a leaflet is given to all teachers in charge explaining safe practice.

With regard to the general public again I have insisted that they note safe procedures before getting anywhere near a telescope.

If any members of SGL do not want people near their scopes that is fine by me. I appreciate that some SGL members have offered this service.

Helen has mentioned the BBC coverage.

Hopefully its a clear and positive day.

Can I join The outreach event please, dad would like to join too if he can

Name added + dad

Hi Mark, can you add me to the list please.

Many thanks.

Jon good to have you aboard. You are welcome to view the Sun through my binoviewers this time :smiley:

We now have 25 members wishing to attend the outreach event

Name added + dad

Jon good to have you aboard. You are welcome to view the Sun through my binoviewers this time :smiley:

We now have 25 members wishing to attend the outreach event

That sounds brilliant Mark and thanks again for organising this, really looking forward to it. 

Please  add me to your list then Mark if there are no plans for an excursion from the site to somewhere local.

Interested what are the other people are planning on doing if they stay at Lucksall, do they realise that the eclipse isn't visible early on ?

Dave

Please  add me to your list then Mark if there are no plans for an excursion from the site to somewhere local.

Interested what are the other people are planning on doing if they stay at Lucksall, do they realise that the eclipse isn't visible early on ?

Dave

Dave I have added you to the list. I have nearly 30 names going  to Madley. Some may decide to stay at Lucksall and grab some eclipse glasses and venture over to Holme Lacy or to Broadmoor Common. Of course the weather will dictate what happens in the end plus the drinking the night before :smiley:

I am finalising the breakfast arrangements with Louise the Education Office for MESC which will be between 8am and 9am.

New to SGL and have (hopefully) booked a couple of nights at Lucksall. Can you add me + 1 to Outreach event. Plus look around Madeley if possible.

Will get down to organising profile asap. New to this so all advice welcome.

Denis

New to SGL and have (hopefully) booked a couple of nights at Lucksall. Can you add me + 1 to Outreach event. Plus look around Madeley if possible.

Will get down to organising profile asap. New to this so all advice welcome.

Denis

Okay Denis name added + 1.

By the way welcome as a new member of SGL

Archived