SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Minimum equipment for imaging Rosette?

mikehab

Hi - I am wondering whether it is possible to image the Rosette nebula without any kind of tracking mount, an un-modded DSLR (60D) and either a standard 250mm lens or 400m scope attached?   According to Stellarium the nebula should fit easily into a 250mm f/3.5 lens field of view, and perfectly in a 400mm f/5.6 ST70 scope fov - but without tracking the maximum exposure times are only going to be around ~2" and ~1.25" respectively (roughly).

Is it even worth trying with this kind of very basic setup or would I be wasting my time anyway?

Would adding some kind of light-polution (or other) filter help - or is this nebula one that specifically requires filters in order to even see anything at all?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Any object apart from the brightest ones are going to be hard without a tracking EQ mount. Not impossible but you have to tailor your expectations to suit.

The rosette is a fairly large and IMO challenging target, I've managed to capture it (albeit faintly) with a Nikon so it's not impossible. My best advice is to give it a bash and experiment.

A tracking mount with guiding if not your  subs will be limited to about 30s ( a well aligned Astrotrack can do 120s with a 300mm lens unguided ), a modded DSLR with a good light pollution or nebula filter, a decent 200~300mm fast lens and about 3 hours of data.

A.G

I got a reasonable pic of the Rosette using a 340mm or so focal length scope (just about right to fit it all in) with about 2hrs of data in 5min guided subs.... it's a feint object (in comparison with M42 for example) and I doubt you'd get much even at high ISO at 30 sec exposures and at 300mm fl on a tripod you'd get star trails after a second or two.. As has also been said, an hour or two of data would be needed to see much at all... save it for when you have a motorised mount and, even better, when you have guiding.

Ben

Archived